Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

First gig on my vintage set

With my rockabilly/blues/country group here in Ottawa:

http://youtu.be/tdAv2d9bt7M

Went alright...quality of sound isn't the best, though. (But you know how live mixes are.)

I don't often get to see drums from this forum in action, so thought I'd throw this out there, just 'cause.

Let me know what you think!

Posted on 12 years ago

Well, sound aside, you did rock it, and they sound great, nice and deep as they should.....the 3 ply shells really kick like cannons, I love it!

See if you can find a powered 16 or 32 channel board from the 70s, a Yamaha. We ran one for almost all of of our gigs and were able to work magic with that hard working little board. It was a full on recording station, 300 watts on the 16 and 500 on the 32. No sound geek needed, unless it was someone you trust, and it could be run almost anywhere. No separate amp/board system needed, except of course for the git-fiddles and bass thumpers, but it all ran through the board so monitors could be used.

Man, that was one nice set up, 4 "Voice of the Theater" speakers, the board, Leslie's for the B-3...talk about a great sound system on the cheap and it really would rock.

Simplicity I tell ya, too easy to run. You could set the board on stage and, since the monitors were right there, a quick walk around the stage and floor, you could set it all up right from there and not worry about some dick messing with the EQ on your drums or a guitar player turning up his noise too loud! My favorite trick? Turn up his monitor so he thought he was really getting over on everyone, and since I had the master volume and all the channel volume controls, I could really phuck with the guitar player....

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 12 years ago

Not my kind of music - but I like the way you play open handed in between.

I also see analogy, as I like to combine my Star set with modern IC pedals as well (love the idea to stay with the same company then, although now called Tama)!

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

great drummin nice drums!!!Chewie:

Posted on 12 years ago

Set has a great vibe for that style,good playing also,from you and the guys,if I walked in that club and saw ya'll playing I would stick around.

Posted on 12 years ago

Great groove!!

Cheers

1976 Ludwig Mach 4 Thermogloss 26-18-14-14sn
1978 Ludwig Stainless 22-22-18-16-14-13-12 c/w 6-8-10-12-13-14-15-16-18-20-22-24 concert toms
1975 Sonor Phonic Centennials Metallic Pewter 22-16-13-12-14sn (D506)
1971 Ludwig Classic Bowling Ball OBP 22-16-14-13
1960's Stewart Peacock Pearl 20-16-12-14sn
1980`s Ludwig Coliseum Piano Black 8x14 snare
1973 Rogers Superten 5x14 & 6.5x14 COS snares
1970`s John Grey Capri Aquamarine Sparkle 5x14 snare
1941 Ludwig & Ludwig Super 8x14 snare
Posted on 12 years ago

HA! That was great! Those old tubs sound as good as they look!

Ahhh... it's always amazed me that when you do a short solo on drums, the crowd gets fired up. Not so with anyone else... maybe a sax, but it's always the drums that gets 'em goin'...

As it should be, of course... :D

fishwaltz
Posted on 12 years ago

Hey, I'm in Ottawa also. Don't get out much these days, but I'd be keen to check you guys out sometime - cool tunes. Ever get out to Greenfields? I can walk to that place.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

awc, that was great! I really like your snare work! It was light yet, the accents were placed in just the right spots. Your short solo was tasteful and the right length for the song. I too am a Star man but, more in the old tradition of rock. I certainly enjoyed your song though. Well-done!!! I too would sure stick around to hear more of you guys!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, guys! Really appreciate it...

And DaddyNowhere: no we haven't played Greenfields before, but it'd definitely be fun to do. I'll let you know if we ever get anything hooked up out there...

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here