Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

First drum restore: Premier 22x14

First time trying this kind of thing. Goal is to build a Keith Moon circa 1971 black Premier kit with (2) 22 x 14 kicks, (3) 14 x 8 toms and (3) 16" floors.

Here is a before and after of the first kick. Replaced beat Burgundy Pearl with Precision Drums Gloss Black wrap; pretty easy to use, even for a newbie. Added a Rogers Swivo Double tom mount that will hold two of the three 14 x 8 tubs (which are on their way to me in various states and colors of finish).

Fun project. I need to replace some of the tensioners; the kick had a few 4" rods but I need 4.5" rods. to meet the lugs.

Anyway, thanks for the tips so far. I'll keep you all posted.

Lee

2 attachments
Posted on 13 years ago

That is cool as hell (what you're trying to do)!!!!

How's the search for 14X8" toms? I saw one with extra holes and faded wrap going on Flea Bay for $255!!!!

I am probably going to do a "Pictures of Bunnies" kit, using Playboy covers, centrefolds and other goodies from Playboy magazines as decoupage on a Pictures of Lily configuration. I am not really keen on the 14x8" size (as it's too punchy for my ears), but maybe something similar, including some retro mounts...

Good onya!!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Dead dogs like rusty fire hydrants!!!
Posted on 13 years ago

Hey bunnyman,

I like the concept of the "Pictures of Bunnies" kit. Be sure to include at least one pic of Bun E Carlos (with his clothes on, please).

Ya, searching for old tubs has been interesting. Saw that 14x8 on eBay and couldn't believe that the shell alone fetched that price! Yikes. I actually found one as part of a 4 piece set (the whole kit cost only a little more than that shell alone!) and a have pieced together a couple of others (a shell here, some lugs there, some hoops here), all of which is being shipped (I hope) as we speak.

Still lots of work ahead before the kit is complete (finding 16x18 floors is no easier than finding 14x8 toms) but the hunt is fun and the restore is theraputic (nothing like polishing chrome to ease the mind).

Lee

Posted on 13 years ago

Maybe I will include Mr. Carlos on that kit. It would be funny- a pic of some dude that only drummers would know amongst pics of beautiful women!!!!

Yeah- I saw a natural 16x18" that went for stupid money!!!! Yeah, since it's going to be the "Pictures of Bunnies" kit, I am not hamstrung by exact sizes. I would love to have a 16x15", 18x17", and a 20x19" floor tom in this kit; however, I am thinking 2 16x16"s and a 18x17" floor tom- one of the 16x16"-ers being a cooler with a hinged lid (no lugs)!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

A Pictures of Bunnies kit would be awsome, but be sure to use the very best for the BD reso head !!.....No balls,...I dare ya !

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Actually, the BD reso head will have my "The Rev" logo on a smooth white head.

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 13 years ago

Next piece of the kit, a re-wrapped 16x18 floor tom. What a beast!!

1 attachments
Posted on 12 years ago

I'm drooling!!!!

Yeah- I'm THAT guy!!!

Posted on 12 years ago

Hey don't mean to hijack your thread but... I have a 70's 16x18 Mahogany floor tom from a gig maker kit I just picked up. PM me if you are interested in it. I was going to re-wrap the kit anyway.. I also have the matching 14x22. I've previously never played a Premier kit from this era, and still can't believe how amazing they sound. Great punch and low end. Your project is going to be awesome band3

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm expecting the rest of the drums for this restore to arrive from UK by the end of the week!! I'll post some before and after pics as I pick up the job again.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here