Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Finish Problem question

[indent](1)

I have a picture here that shows the original finish that has been under

a cymbal lug and away from the elements the rest of the finish is very

dark !!

Wonder is there any way of restoring the original finish ?.....,cut and

polish???

(2)

The lug holders are a little noisy and I want to record with these

Drums , the rattle seems to be coming from the springs in the lug

holders

do I need to replace these ,or insert felt ????

Thank you for you time

kind regards

[img]http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/images/forum_images/drum4.jpg[/img]

[/indent]

Posted on 19 years ago

Hi, I see that no one has responded, so I'll give it a shot. I would first try something like a product from 3M, like "perfect it" clear coar rubbing compound, which is not a real agressive rubbing compound (If used by hand that is)

I'd first try the least agressive method, which would be by hand. If you could carefully remove all hardware without incurring any damage (Lugs-Cymbal-Holder Lugs-Spur Lugs) this would be a definite plus.

From the Rubbing compound, then go onto a good Hand Glaze. Another option would be the Meguiars Deep Crystal System, which is sold at places like Auto Zone for about $5 a bottle. They come in #1 Cleaner (Which is like a rubbing compound), #2 Polish (Glaze), and then #3 would be the wax. Use any wax you like after.

Naturally, you wouldn't want to be ripping off the Ludwig badges.

I don't know if this has ever been tried, and I sure wouldn't want to try it with a valuable set, but perhaps one could use a machine buffer with a good machine glaze-foam pad? (With all lugs removed?)

Again, you would have to be very careful by/around the Luddy Badge, as you'd most likely burn off the printing on the badge and/or catch the badge damaging it, and literally ripping it off.

Most would probably recommend using the Novus plastic polishes, and I understand there are different abrasive grades in this product. One would first start with the more coarse grade, and then finish with the finer grade. Mark

Posted on 19 years ago

Sorry I didn't comment about the lug rattle. Some I've seen will use roll cotton, which can be bought from places like Walgreens. Each lug is removed, and then packed with a small wad of the cotton around the springs, then replaced. While you at it, clean all Lug screws with a brush, and lube the ends with either a bit of grease, or petroleum jelly. Mark

Posted on 19 years ago
Action Another action Something else here