Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Finish on 1920's Ludwig & Ludwig Drums

Hello,

I need some info.

I am in the process of restoring and assembling my early 1920's Ludwig & Ludwig set.

The finish on the Bass drum and snare is mahogany and in fantastic shape. I have added the 9 x 13 and the 14 x 16 period toms to the set but they are in need of refinishing.

My question is what did they use for the final clear on these drums? Shellac? Varnish? it is important to me that I get the toms to look as close to the original Bass and snare as possible.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

Gary Hall

Posted on 9 years ago

Gary welcome to the VDF . Please post pics for us to see the finish your speaking of.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Thanks, Here are the requested pics.

Posted on 9 years ago

Gary do you have access to a good wood workers store or a good a cabinet maker, they could help you match the color of the stain you'll need to match to your drums, The hard part will be making them distressed like your finish is already.

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 9 years ago

Hi, yes, I have a guitar maker that is doing the stain and distress and he is very good. What he needs to know is what did they use for the final top coats? Varnish or Shellac or something else?

Posted on 9 years ago

From waywardboy2

Hi, yes, I have a guitar maker that is doing the stain and distress and he is very good. What he needs to know is what did they use for the final top coats? Varnish or Shellac or something else?

I'm thinking a shellac.

Posted on 9 years ago

It looks to me like that stain was put on with a rag. I`m pretty sure about that. So any other add on drums should get that too. The clear will stop you from blending stain so get the finish on it as close as possible. If the add on looks to be sprayed on stain, take paint thinner on a rag until you start taking off color to match.

The clear is almost always going to be a lacquer base and may have had a tint.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 9 years ago

The rule of thumb sounds F`d up but holds true,...light wood get`s darker when clear coated and dark wood get`s lighter. Tinting it gives you control of that.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here