Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Finding a vintage kit ....

Is it always this way when trying to find a vintage kit?? I've been looking locally and no luck. I've been all over ebay, and I see a drum finish I like and the model is what I'm after, but the idiot broke up the set!!! I'm afraid to bid on the individual pieces because if I lose one of the 4 auctions, I'm screwed!!! I see nice sets on there but they are out of my price range and then I see (as The Ploughman would put it) sets with implants!! Non-original tom mounts or drum legs or whatever. Does this pi&& anyone else off?? All I'm after is a vintage kit that may need some restoration but yet, with some work, could be playable until I get around to restoring it. ARGH!!!! I'm also getting alittle aggrivated with the fact I'm looking at stuff I don't really know what it is!! I can't tell the difference between models and what's a fake and what's real. I was looking at one kit until the guy stated that "it has new tag grommets installed.... " HUH??? For what other reason than to pull a fast one possibly? HELP!!! Ok I'm done venting!! Whew ..... I worked up a sweat on that one .... Kleening

Posted on 16 years ago

Theres an absolutely gorgeous Black Onyx Rogers Londoner V set on the bay right now. Good price, great drums, fabulous condition. They are worthy.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 16 years ago

Must have been a good price ..... I can't find the set anywhere!! DOH

Posted on 16 years ago
Posted on 16 years ago

My luck !!!! Violin Thank you for the help and the link Ploughman. You rock!!

Posted on 16 years ago

You should contact the seller. He still has them. That much I do know.

Posted on 16 years ago

I've only been into buying vintage drums for about 4 - 5 years now, although I've appreciated the old tubs since I was a kid.

The name of the game here is patience and diligence. Watch eBay, but don't expect to find a mint 64 Ludwig 4 piece going for $200.00. Check out local music stores, flea markets, estate sales and yard sales.

If you're looking for a popular brand in a popular wrap, consider piecing the kit together over time. Example: There will be plenty of red sparkle 1960's Ludwigs kicking around on eBay over the next 10 - 20+ years.

Don't disregard an implant kit, just because it's not 100% original. If you are into collecting drums as an investment, then be prepared to pay a hefty price for that originality. If you're a player, then just find a solid kit that sounds good and bang away.

Lastly, keep a stash of cash handy just in case that deal-of-a-lifetime comes along. You never know where or when it will pop up.

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Big .. thanks for the info, but due to some unfortunate events, I'm going to sell off the majority, if not all, of my equiptment. A band member passed away and he had no family, not much money and really nothing worth much at all. The set I was playing is going to be raffled off Feb.9th at a benefit concert, and all proceeds will go towards funeral expenses. I think my days of drumming are over. Life's too short. I've been drumming professionally for over 15 years, and to see a bandmate pass at the age of 39 really makes you think twice about things. If I was drumming with millions coming in, well that'd be different. Thanks to all who have given me advice in the past and for the laughs along the way. Maybe some day I'll pick up sticks again, but I doubt it.

Posted on 16 years ago

Give yourself some time, but dont make any rash decisions you are going to regret in a few weeks. Im very sorry about your friend, my condolances to you, and to his family. That is indeed a tragic sudden loss.

Prayers.

Posted on 16 years ago

Hello Just_Me,

Sorry for your loss of your bandmate. It's really hard, it happened to me a few years back. I agree with Ploughman, don't give up drumming, give yourself a well deserved break but don't decide at times like this.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here