Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.45303%

Filling holes on my Ludwig classics

I am Restoring a 1978 Big beat maple set of drums(Ludwig).The guy who last owned these drums,replaced the center post mount on the bass drum,with a Slingerland ball type mount.The extra holes I am planning to Dowel,but the problem is the rack tom.The drum has a 1.5" hole cut in to allow the Slingerland tom mount,which I will be selling,along with theBass drum mount,and stem.What is the best way to fill this huge hole?Should I mount the original style mount in another spot?

please help.These maple shells are being re-wrapped,and outside these extra holes,The shells are beautiful.

thenx

Posted on 17 years ago

Hi Ludwigjoey. I have a Ludwig bass drum that had a hole like that in the top and I took another old drum shell, one that I could sacrifice that was the same thickness, and cut a peice out of it with a skill saw that was the same size and shape as the hole I was filling. I glued the repair piece in place and used some high strength wood filler to fill in any rough spots around it. I sanded it smooth, inside and out and it has filled in the hole nicely. I plan to cover the drum with Black Oyster Pearl and touch up the inside white paint in the near future. If you can find an old shell (same thickness of course) you could try the same thing. Good luck with your project!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here