Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Filling holes in shell

I know this topic has been addressed, but I couldn't find a thread.

I am refinishing some old Premier drums. The previous owner of the kick had installed some newer tom mounts and there were some other random holes in the shell.

As to the small 1/8 and 1/14 size screw holes, my plan was to plug them with dowels and wood glue, then carefully sand flush to the shell. If there's a better way, I am open to suggestions.

But what is the best thing to do to fill larger holes: 1/2 inch, 1 inch and 2 inch holes from the old tom mounts and cymbal mounts? A wood plug seems a bit, much? Some kind of filler? I seem to have read that folks use Bondo.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Lee

Posted on 13 years ago

I have used a combination of tapered wood plugs and bondo to fill large holes with much success. Are you going to rewrap?

Posted on 13 years ago

Yes. I have a collection of mismatched tubs that I am going to rehab and rewrap.

Thanks. I've started to cut plugs and I bought some Bondo. Here goes nothing! Thanks.

Lee

Posted on 13 years ago

are you going to wrap them or give them a natural finish?

Dowels will look like crap if you are doing a natural finish. The face of the plug will be end grain and will turn into dark circles no matter what you do.

I always use tapered plugs that I cut with various tapered plug cutters in my drill press.

If you are wrapping them then they will only look bad on the inside.

Posted on 13 years ago

I am re-wrapping them. So i know the fill is less critical. Have done the plug and Bondo treatment today and am reasonably happy with the result. Should look good after I rewrap.

Thanks,

Lee

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here