Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Filling drill holes?

Just wondering if anyone out there has experience filling extra holes in wood shells?

How do you go about doing that?Coffee Break2

Thanks

Kelly

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 15 years ago

For holes up to an inch I take a forestner bit (it gives precise edges and a flat bottom) and drill out just enough for a tapered plug of the same material to go in. Dont go all the way through. You can make a guide by drilling a hole through a thicker piece of wood with the same bit then clamp it to the shell and drill. The tapered plugs fit tight into the hole so you dont see much of a line. After the glue sets up ( did I mention to use a little carpenters glue with the plug) trim the plug with a flexible flush-cutting saw. An almost invisible fix. The plugs I cut myself and the beauty of that is the way you can orient the grain. I was thinking about taking some pics, kind of like a tutorial on a kit that I am putting together. The 13" tom had the setomatic mount on it so it had a fairly large hole. I used a one inch tapered plug for that. The other four holes I used half inch plugs. On the outside of the shell I filled the existing holes with bondo since they are being finished in piano black lacquer. Is that to rambling? Let me know!

Posted on 15 years ago

Hey Lucky, Thanks for the tip!

Are the forestner bit and tapered plugs available at Home Depot?

I would love to see your "tutorial pics" I have a vintage 70's Camco Los Angeles 18" natrual maple shell with some xtra holes to fill.

Cheers!Clapping Happy2

Kelly

Posted on 15 years ago

So....you bought them? Did you pay less than the $400.00?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

Yes, Once I got there and saw the beauty of this kit, I knew it was a good deal. Got it for $340. 18, 16, 13, 12. The toms are the nice shorter sizes in 13X8 and 12X8. I think pre-fusion?

The 18 was a custom floor tom out of the Camco LA shop that was converted to a bass. I need to fill the holes where the previous owner drilled for the side leg mounts. I will post better pics tomorrow later in the day when I get it cleaned up a bit. Kleening

The natural maple finish has aged to a nice honey brown. Shells I believe are about 32 years old since the badge is the last Camco badge produced pre-Tama around 1977 or so?.

Cheers!

Kellyj

Posted on 15 years ago

Lucky,

FYI

Your faithful webmaster is looking for articles to enhance the web sites... hint, hint...

David

Posted on 15 years ago

Lucky,

It seems you've been asked to submit a full version of the "how to" on extra hole repair, replete with photos and diagrams. When I searched this site and the web itself for good quality information, there certainly was not a lot that would be helpful to hole repair. So,let's have it ....Yes Sir

Posted on 15 years ago

Okay, okay okay! I will start today.I have a light day so I will snap some pics. Be patient with me, my computer skills are next to none!

Posted on 15 years ago

Oh yeah, The forestner bits are probably available at home depot, not sure of the tapered plugs. I make my own with a plug cutter, I can make them out of any wood I need. If you have a "Woodcraft" store near you you can get everything there, probably online also.

Posted on 15 years ago

From lucky

I was thinking about taking some pics, kind of like a tutorial on a kit that I am putting together.

I'd love to see it!

myspace.jcymbal
youtube/jkcymbal
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here