Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.26096%

fillers?

what is the best way to fill old harewear holes? big and small? what should i use, bondo,wood putty,wood glue?

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Bondo is nice for filling in sections of missing ply on interior or exterior.

Wood glue is good for regluing separating re-rings or plys.

Wood filler (plastic wood and the like) also works well for the Bondo-type jobs described above.

It works OK for smaller screw holes, too.

But for larger screw holes, I usually go with dowels...or...as the nice ol' cabinetmaker-guy around the corner showed me...chopsticks...which work great since they are tapered so they can fit a variety of hole sizes. Stick 'em in...push....secure...saw off the ends...sand.

For big holes (like old tom mount or spur mount holes), I actually use pieces of junk shells, cut out round... which I wedge into the offending opening, then seal with wood filler and sand.[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm a big fan of epoxy mixed with several additives to thicken. West System two part epoxy is great stuff. Nothing sticks better to wood and even metal. For large holes, the piece of old shell is a great idea. Look for West at marine stores or a good hardware store. They also have comprehensive manuals on how to use the stuff. I also use it with a small plastic syringe to inject into delaminated shells.

1971 Gretsch Moonglow 12, 14, 18
1980's Pearl Export 10, 12, 16, 22
1960's Kent Blue Sparkle 12, 14, 20
1965 Slingerland Mahogany 12, 15, 20
1967 Ludwig Mahogany and Maple 12, 14, 20
1963 Ludwig Maple NOB Pioneer
1930's? Ludwig and Ludwig 5.5x14 Maple
1971 COB Gretsch 5.5x14
Olive badge Acrolite
Various Kent mongrel snares
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here