Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.26305%

fill holes on my center lugged Pearl floor tom?

I received an old unwanted Pearl floor tom. A few of the lugs have pulled through the wood. The holes are just a hair bigger than the washers inside the drum. Maybe bigger than a dime, but smaller than a nickel.

I'm not one to trash anything if it can be repaired or restored.

Can the holes be filled and then refilled to reused the lugs? Or will the newly filled holes rip right out when I tighten the lugs up?

No pics just yet, I'll try and get some up tomorrow (Monday).

Opinions? Guess its gonna be kinda hard to judge without pics.

Posted on 13 years ago

Have you tried larger washers with the same Di. holes ??

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

Yes they can be filled and re-drilled but on a strong point, the hold may not last !! The T-rods pull up and lugs pull in, so couple that with vibration and ??? If they were six ply or nine ply ect. ,...then it may work !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Yeah, this tom is luan and Is 3 ply. I could crush with my hands. Ahh hope I can save it.

Posted on 13 years ago

Maybe you can make some larger wooden washer for the inside !!

Posted on 13 years ago

Oddball hit it right on the head! Glue a fresh wood patch on the inside of the shell, re-drill your holes, get longer screws to secure the lugs and the drum will look good from the outside and work fine.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 13 years ago

I come across this type of damage all the time. with a hole that size, I usually drill it cleanly out to either 3/4" or 1" and put a graduated hardwood plug into the hole, securing it with Titebond III. My local hardware store has 1/4" thick hardwood plugs that graduate from 1" on the bottom to 1&1/8" at the top, good for firmly pushing into a freshly drilled 1" hole. Same goes for smaller holes, these type of plugs are avail. in just about every size from 1/4" to 2". Once its dry, some 120 then 220 sandpaper on a sanding block should get it pretty even with the surface of the shell.

Revival Drum Shop
Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here