Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Fibes w/ 18" kick question

Have been thinking about selling one of my kits and wondered if some of you had any input into it's value. It's a Fibes copper covered w/ (I think) is called the swivomatic tom mount (nylon ball bushing, w/ hex L shaped rod). 12, 14 floor and 18 kick, all original, no extra holes. I keep hearing that the 18's are uncommon and quite desirable. The finish is typical for the copper, not perfect but not at all bad. The floor tom has a Farmingdale badge and the other two are mirror (martin) which to me indicates that the kit was put together when the co. was sold to Martin (I think around 71?) Thanks for your input on this kit. I also have a 5 x 14 Black 70's Martin era snare in mint cond.

Mike

Posted on 15 years ago

The finish does not help with selling this kit. It is not as cool as some of the other finishes from other companies.

Remember most guys are looking for the Rogers, Gretsch, Ludwig and Slingerland 18" bass drums. Fibes, just does not have the following like the others.

That said, there are Fibes collectors and many non Fibes collectors looking for the Fibes Snare Buddy played. If you had the chrome SFT, then that would have some decent value.

Still, the sizes are nice and small which has a following in the vintage community and since no one else took a stab at this post I'm going to say $800 - $1200. Which is where most standard sets in these sizes are selling.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

I'd agree the finish may not be all that popular, a clear kit in those sizes would be a different story.

As a Fibes fan I've found searching for hardware and drums challenging but not impossible, still waiting for a clear 14x14 floor tom to show up somewhere.

Your snare sounds like a Crystalite Smoke, dare I say in mint condition, it may fetch more than the kit itself.

Posted on 15 years ago

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. Thanks guys.

Posted on 15 years ago

I have a soft spot for Fibes copper-wrapped drums, as my first Fibes set was a copper-wrapped bought around 1975. Currently I own 3 Fibes sets: 2 fiberglass, and one Jasper maple.

That said, IMHO the challenging thing with this kit is its sizes. Smaller sets like this are targeted at smaller venues. But fiberglass drums are loud. From a practical perspective, it's tough to imagine many scenarios where this combo fits.

For this reason, I'd lean toward the lower end of David's price range.

Posted on 15 years ago

For my purposes, they're best suited for a small rehearsal room such as what I have. I used them on a gig once and was not a fan of the 18. I'm replacing them w/ an Eames of similiar size except the kick is a 13 x 20 and the Eames sound way better. Like most of you all say, "...hate to see 'em go."

Posted on 15 years ago

I used to see Victor Lewis with Woody Shaw at the Village Vanguard in NYC.

He played a fibes chrome colored kit with and 18" bass drum and it was one of the best sounding sets I've ever heard. (I'm sure a lot of it had to do with Victor Lewis...)

I'd guess the three piece set would get over $1000 on ebay.

Posted on 15 years ago

Yeah Rich, sometimes it's the singer not the song.....thanks for advocating for the Fibes. They sound great in my little room....I think the venue I gigged on them w/ was too big and the room just ate up the sound (no mic's) .

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here