Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

Fibes resto

I picked up a thrashed 70's Fibes kit from a guy who seems to have no Idea how to care for drums... The floortom was busted nearly in half, the kick is missing half the tees and claws, as well as the front hoop, and all the shells were scratched and covered in a nasty mud like substance..

I got them all stripped down and cleaned up the shells.. Im tossing the floortom shell, as I have a spare 16x16" acrlylic shell of unknown brand (probably RCI) I bought on ebay a year ago.

the main purpose of getting these was to have the option of a 22" kick in my current arsenal of clear fibes stuff. I have a 26 and a 24 right now and they get big and heavy to move around... And this set came with a 14x10 rack tom, which I can plop in a snare stand and use with the 26" kick, 16 and 18" FTs for that bonham vistalite vibe (or fibe?)

SO anyway Im gonna start with some wet sanding and go to the novus stuff to finish it off..

Does anybody have some fibes parts kicking around that they will part with? I need those tees and claws, and any 70's era 22" hoops should be fine. In fact I tried a slingerland one and it fits the claws well.

Posted on 10 years ago

It'll be fun following your project. I recently purchased a clear Vistalite kit with an 18" bass drum! Some of the shells need work. I'll be following your project to see how yours come out.

Break a leg! Smooth sailing...

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Where did you find an 18" vista? cool!

Posted on 10 years ago

From bbeyer

Where did you find an 18" vista? cool!

VDF! lol

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 10 years ago

Went to the hardware store Sunday morning, all they had was 400, 600, and 1000 grit wetsanding paper.

Also I grabbed this turtle was headlight restoring kit which was only 10 bucks. It had 4 different grades of sanding pads with a spray bottle (soapy water i think) . I sanded each section of the rack tom , In between lug holes, in cross-hatch patterns, then moved around the shell, gradually going to finer paper. and a rubbing compund to finish off the process. I did this on the inside and outsides

I had my nephew at the house and he kept bugging me to help, so he got his hands a litte dirty too, haha.

Anyway, im not super happy with the results, but If I can get my hands on some finer paper and some novus product, I think I'll be in good shape. That kick shell has some serious scratches in the INSIDE of it. It seems that the previous owner nwas using it to haul his harware around(no resonant head)

Any hints you guys can give me that im missing?

Posted on 10 years ago

Now thats a good helper you have there!

If you need finer grit paper, try an automotive finish supplier.

This is interesting to me, please keep the progress reports coming.

Jeff C

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 10 years ago

AFter alot of elbow grease,,, here we are with a complete 14x10 tom

Posted on 10 years ago

Looking good!

Posted on 10 years ago

it's sounding pretty sweet too I never really preferred the sound of a 14 inch TomTom, besides floor toms but this this thing is pretty cool.

Posted on 10 years ago

Here's the kick. Looking pretty good besides having no spurs.

The hoops and claws I bought off a corder bassdrum

1 attachments
Posted on 10 years ago
Action Another action Something else here