Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.45929%

fibes drums-what type of rack tom mounting hardware was used?

just got a few fibes drums(rack toms) it has rogers swivomatic mounts on them,did fibes use them?? or did they have there own mounts and he just switched them??,by the way its the old fibes with the martin farmingdale stamp

1966 kent jazzer-champagne sparkle
1972 sonor 6 ply beechwood jazz set
1971 fibes chrome over fiberglass rock set
Posted on 14 years ago

Those are probably not Swivo hardware. Fibes had a similar mounting system. I believe it's thicker than the Swivo stuff. The Fibes stuff is hardcore thick and intense.

Posted on 14 years ago

From cooldaddy

just got a few fibes drums(rack toms) it has rogers swivomatic mounts on them,did fibes use them?? or did they have there own mounts and he just switched them??,by the way its the old fibes with the martin farmingdale stamp

Yes. It was similar to the Rogers in that it was a ball-and-socket type mount. However, all of the old Fibes mounts I've seen used a hard plastic ball to accept the mounting rod. I was always dubious about the ability of those things to hold, being old plastic, but they never let me down. Like MCJNIC states, it was a quite large and heavy mounting system.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for everything,i always wanted a fibes set and came across this kit.,loos like a mess!!! 24" bass,13+14 mount toms,18" floor tom,the mount toms have a rogers mount on them and a spererate stand that both of them mount to and the bass has no tom mount on it?? i am not sure if fibes made virgin bass drums in the day?? but in there catalog i did not see any listed? on inspection the inside of the drum is all black except at the top where the tom mount would be is regular fiberglass?? not sure if it was done at the factory,or if someone patched it on there own?? but the chrome wrap on the drum is old and looks like it was never touched??? all the heads heads had colored evans heads on them so it was hard to see anything!!! and the guy took off work to show me them and had to get back so i had to make a decision fast,so i took a chance and gave him 175.00 for everything!!!!! anyway,if anyone knows where to get parts for these things or any knowledge on these things i would appreciate it,thanks,andy

Posted on 14 years ago

Pix!!! Need Pix!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

I really love Fibes drums, old and new. I've owned many sets, including the straight walled fiberglass, that had no rerings, the old Farmingdale ones, that have rerings, the more modern jasper shelled maple ones, an old set of the Fibes acrylic "Crystalites", and I had ordered one of the new sets of acrylics about 5 years ago but after waiting for TWO YEARS, I finally canceled the order. The fact that I had close to 2 grand tied up in an order for two years is a testament to how much I liked their drums. Fibes has gone through many transitions over the years, but they've always been really well-made drums in my opinion. Hopefully the company will be resurrected somehow, but in today's market you never know. There's a short history here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibes_Drums

As for parts, I had pretty good luck with ebay, but since I haven't owned a Fibes set in quite a few years, I haven't looked for the parts lately. But, it's probably your best bet. However, Fibes weren't produced in the mass quantities like other manufacturers, so you'll need to be patient as there aren't piles of parts to be had. But, I usually found what I was looking for after a while. Like Ludwig, their hardware remained relatively unchanged throughout their production history and I believe that even up until a few years ago you could request some of the older mounting when placing an order. The lug casings and bass drum spurs NEVER changed!

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the input!!! when i was growing up my friend had a new fibes kit he bought in the 70's-(farmingdale fiberglass era ones)that sounded unbelievable!!!! i have always wanted a set!!! i went to look at these and they were not in great shape,but they are fibes fiberglass 70's drums with chrome wrap,the floor tom and bass wrap is in pretty bad shape(wrap that is)ginal lugs and hoops are on it.i figured for 175.00 i could not go wrong!! i will restore them,and in the mean time use that 18"floor tom as a jazz bass also.an 18" fiberglass floor tom would probably be a cannon of a jazz bass!!if u see any parts out there let me know,i will post before and after photos of this thing.Dont know how hard the wrap will be to get off these fiberglass shels though??

Posted on 14 years ago

I put it out there before, but there's a Fibes kit here locally that a buddy of mine has at his music store. It's a smokey crystal kit in very good shape. 22,16,13,with matching 14 snare. Nice kit for someone. He really doesn't want much for it. I'm just not in the market for one of these.

Posted on 14 years ago

I played a Fibes set for a few years. Great sound, and the hardware seemed fine, but the snare was GREAT. Buddy Rich, of course, used a Fibes snare during part of the time when he was endorsing Slingerland and Rogers drums.

Norm

1964 Slingerland Stage Band in Black Diamond Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

From Leedwig

Yes. It was similar to the Rogers in that it was a ball-and-socket type mount. However, all of the old Fibes mounts I've seen used a hard plastic ball to accept the mounting rod. I was always dubious about the ability of those things to hold, being old plastic, but they never let me down. Like MCJNIC states, it was a quite large and heavy mounting system.

You're lucky. On my old Crystalite set, that mount wasn't worth a darn. Would not hold for anything. Obviously, the previous owner had the same problem, judging by all the gouges in the bass where the mounted tom was. LOL

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here