Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.85595%

fibes Badges

My 18, 12, 14 copper covered fibes have two different badges. Kick (sn 9024) and 12 (sn5411) have the Nazareth, PA square badge and the 14 has the Farmingdale, NY rectangular badge (hard to read but looks like sn 3111). How do you guys think these two badges came together on one kit? I've read that the Farmingdale badges are the most rare and are from the 60's. Would they have combined new old stock to complete 70's kits?

Posted on 16 years ago

mruggelo!...

Regarding the Fibes Farmingdale rectangular badges: 'Tis true, the rectangular badged Fibes are the older of the two. Most probably EARLY 70's though... say '72/'73... possibly a little earlier. The rectangular badge did exist in the late 60's... '68 and on, but those don't tend to show up all that often. I would think that yours are probably early 70's. The Fibes square badge came in around '75/'76... and of course continued from there.

I Have a MINT late '72 early '73 Fibes SFT 690 COF... ( the Buddy Rich snare! ) ... and it is a rectangular badged serial #2318. I would suspect your floor tom is a little later given the serial number... but still PRE 1975/1976. I would "suspect" that the square badged drums were possibly added later... but there are always exceptions!

Tommyp

Posted on 16 years ago

thanks for clearing that up Tommy.

Posted on 16 years ago

I was wondering the same thing concerning the badges, so thanks for the info. I just restored a clear kit-20, 12, 13 and 16-the 12 and the 20 have the square/mirrored badge w/ the rest being the rectangle ones.

It was alot of fun putting this one together, finding the matching snare, hardware etc. Can relay the play by play if interested and post a pic. Cheers.

Posted on 16 years ago

If the rectangle badge says CFMartin,then that was just before they moved operations to Pa.(early 70's). If it doesn't say CFMartin, then this company was still owned by Bob Grauso .The reason you got a set with mixed badges was this was a transitional time for CFMartin's drum division.I bought the Billy Cobham model(clear) in '75,still have them.I later found a set of used clears with the CFMartin rectangular badge.The earlier shells were thinner than the later Nazareth shells(?),go figure.Sound just as good though.

Posted on 16 years ago

Thanks Chris, the rectangular badge does say, Farmingdale NY and CF Martin Corp. Fiberglass shells etc. The Nazareth badges also say CF Martin...That clears things up ...thanks again .

Mike

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here