Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.06263%

Felt for lugs

I see lots of references to putting felt or cotton or a sponge inside lugs. I've torn apart several drums and never seen anything but a spring inside a lug. Obviously nothing else is required so any material added must be simply an enhancement.

My question is: what is it enhancing? Does it filter out some of the overtones?

Posted on 13 years ago

I have them in every one of my lugs,..it stops the parts inside from buzzing. It also keeps them from rusting by useing up the dead airspace.

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 13 years ago

not all lugs got some sort of insulation in the lugs. my signatures got foam in the lugs. with or with out them i realy dont think i would notice a change in sound. some will say yes and some will say no. i think even in the best of studio enviroment it still might be tough to hear any changes or enhancment

80's 13 pc sonor signature
1979 12 pc ludwig power factory
Posted on 13 years ago

Well, since I'm getting gunh-ho in my old age, I'm going to start putting them in. Thanks, guys.

Posted on 13 years ago

It's not so easy getting the felt to curve around the springs. I didn't take the springs out because they looked great plus it looked like a pain. But I now have felted lugs on the ol' Apollo.

Posted on 13 years ago

It's real easy to remove and reinstall the springs. I use weatherstriping to wrap my springs.

1960's SONOR 12-16-20-14 blue slate pearl
1968 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14Sky blue P
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14BlueVistalite
1972 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-(14 impostor)BlackPanther "SOLD"
1964 Ludwig Oyster Black Pearl 22-12-13-16-14Supra "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG 12-13-16-22-14 Citrus Mod "SOLD"
1969 LUDWIG Sexto-Plus 8-1 0-12-13-14-15-16-20-20-14 Silver Sparkle
60's Majestic Delux 12-13-16-22-14 red pearl
2009 Homemade Kids 8-10-13-16-12 Orange Sparkle
24 kits, 80 Snares, 65 Cymbals
Don't tell my wife!
Posted on 13 years ago

Ditto on ease of removing springs. Since my first kit in '65, I've only played Slingerland. There always seemed to be one lug that would sympathetically buzz. Cotton balls took care of it; I remove the spring, put about half the cotton ball into the casing and put the spring back over the cotton, works everytime. Easy, cheap and good!

Regards

DonS

Posted on 13 years ago

All the lugs in my vintage Star drums contain a felt-curled spring.

I did it like rolling a cigarette (although no longer smoking since > 21 years):

a square piece of thin felt with the length of the spring, rolling the spring into it so that the spring is covered outside all around afterwards, then putting it back into the lug.

Like Oddball and DonS stated: I would hate to hear that buzzing (and not knowing which of the lugs is the causer ...).

Ralf

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 13 years ago

I, too, wrap all my springs. I have had some drums come through that had a horrible buzz that we tracked down, after 4-5 hours of listening intently to the sound. I thought it was just loose parts, but it ended up the springs were buzzing inside the lugs. I use a cotton ball, unrolled, and get about 3 springs per ball. Very simple thing to do, and it can make a difference, especially in MIJ drums. I had a Ludwig kit last year that had some buzz. It was a 80s monster rock kit. The foam had dried out, so out comes the foam at refurb and in goes the cotton...the buzz was gone.

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 13 years ago

Do you fasten the felt somehow or does it just stay wrapped because of the tight space?

Posted on 13 years ago
Action Another action Something else here