Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 131.46555%

Feb 3, 2008 - Server

[COLOR=black]

[COLOR=black][COLOR=black]As you might or might not know, a web site is hosted on a server, usually supported by a large hosting company. Unless of course you have your own in house server which is expensive and requires a lot of equipment to maintain and keep up to date.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]So the forum is running on a shared server which means this web site and other web sites all share the same server. I'm paying $320 a year for the shared server and that is because of the size and resources the web site are taking up.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]The forum software had a one time charge and then a yearly charge to keep it updated. The problem is the current shared server is older and it will not let me install newer versions of the software on it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]So, that would mean the forum and web site need to move! Based on the traffic and the resources the best case scenerio would be a dedicated server. A server which we do not share with other web sites and we would be able to control...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]Steve Maxwell used to be on the same server as us and last year I moved him to a dedicated server, so I know the costs involved and the time required to do it.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]At the very minimum with a monthly fee of $99 and usually a $200 set up fee that is what a dedicated server will cost. We are looking at $1300 for the first year and $1200 a year after that. (I know Godaddy might be cheaper for the first year with a 20% discount)[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]So, let me say I'm not asking for hand-outs! and not trying to get money from people for nothing, but trying to come up with a creative way to try and bring money in to cover those costs for the year. Not the whole thing, but at least some of it..[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]This is not a rally post to save the forum and I'm not giving you my "Blue Moon Story", but seeing what you all think about the situation and ways to generate the money required to move it to the next level.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=black]In the mean time things will stay as is, since my host is also a friend and he does not care at the moment, but would like to see me move to the next level.[/COLOR]

[/COLOR]

Finally, I know things are tight with most people in the US at the moment. I own a small business and know others that own different types of businesses and we are all having some of the worst months in recent years.. So from my perspective, I know what it is to cut costs!

I'm sure others have that disease "Fundsalittlelow", but might spare a few pence for something in return..

Ideas? comments? suggestions? complaints?

David

Posted on 16 years ago

David,

I have two questions, in the end of your post you asked to "spare a few pents" I am assuming you are speaking of English monies, which is spelled, "pence". Secondly, I would be more than happy to "spare a few pence" your way. Do you have an address or maybe a PayPal account. I have a few spare dollars that I can kick down. Let me know...

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

You made me laugh!

Thanks, I will go correct that!

OK, hang tight until I see what the general thought is and go from there..

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Count me in.

With over 3000 members, a buck each more than covers it. How about an annual membership fee with proceeds above the cost of maintaining the site being used for membership raffles. I woudn't mind spending a buck with the chance of winning a nice vintage kit or COB Supra.

Posted on 16 years ago

I'm with you JohnG. Count me in as well!

Posted on 16 years ago

Hi,

I'm in tough times lately, but I could and will squeeze a few dollars out to keep this thing going. Like someone else said, if all active members just put in a few bucks there would be enough.

Matt

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago

I will probably run with the new server in the next week or so... Here is what I will do... Since the web site already has a donation system, I will use that for the server stuff.

I'm going to set up a new Pay Pal account just for this purpose so the money is held there for server expenses..

This is a crazy hobby for me and I do not see it going away any time soon... In fact I was hoping it would take me clear in to retirement!

No financial gain in this, just trying to keep the history alive...

So, I will come up with a scale system based on the donation amount...

I have a box of Rob Cooks books - Rogers, Slingerland and Ludwig. I also handle all of the NSMD back issues which I have in my store and will give those away as well...

I can probably also swing some subscriptions from NSMD for certain price levels of donation..

So in the end who ever donates will get something...

If no one donates, I will continue on and chalk it up to a hobby that will not let me stop...

I'm sick and tired of the slow forum and the new server should solve all of those problems

Thanks for everyone that made a comment and more comments are always welcome.

Thanks to the two people that donated a few months back to the web site.

David

Posted on 16 years ago

Let me know when you get the account or PM me. I will be more than happy to send you some dough.....I also never knew that donations were accepted to begin with, I just thought everything was for free and fun! I personally can say that I appreciate what you do David with this site. It has been a source of ideas, knowledge and fun for me.

Best Regards,

Gary

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 16 years ago

Your correct, I have never asked for donations it is free and will remain that way. No sign up fee or monthly charge!

The majority of people will never donate, so I do not want that to hold up the progression of the forum and web site, but for the people that do want to help, I feel I need to give something in return, something more tangible...

I just set up the Pay Pal for VSD and will get everything in to place...

Keep checking back for the update in the next week or so...

David

(The previous people that donated kind of twisted my arm and would not take no for an answer!)

Posted on 16 years ago

Ok, things will are moving along.. I have a 2-3 week timeline to move the web site and forum to a dedicated server..

More in the next few days...

David

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here