Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Fantastic Luck!!!

Today, I was faced with the problem of removing rusted, pitted and scratched C.O.W. wrap from a vintage 12x15 Ludwig marcher, 12 lugs, blue and olive badge, Kevlar batter head, classic strainer. A wonderful sounding drum! I had never done this before and was picturing the worst scenario. Much to my surprise, once the first couple of inches of the wrap had been heated and pried, the rest was easy! Once this ugly wrap was removed, I noticed the rust on the inner side of the wrap had bled into the maple shell giving it a beautiful, almost tiger maple patina! I don't even want to stain it! Maybe just a clear coat after a very light sanding. What would you guys recommend for a good clear coat? I want the very best for this old beauty! Thanks VERY much!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 2 years ago

Given my aversion to stripped and clear-coated drum shells, I would want to see it before offering any opinion.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

Yeah it really depends on how good the outer ply looks after the wrap is removed. A lot of the time, the wrap is covering a less-than-perfect outer ply.

I'd like to have a look before saying what I'd do/not do.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here