Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

fakes or real 1960s PEARLs?

Greetings all. I joined to try and find out about a set i own which might or might not be a PEARL, from the 60s.

when i got them i assumed they were nice fakes but now wonder if at least part of the set is legit?

the hardware seems correct and they have the gold Pearl script badges, brad nailed (!!) to the drums but my drums have no wrap finish. Instead they are painted red. I can find no reference to painted sets but do recall that 1960s Japanese stuff was kinda hokey and inexpensive looking. could these have been a low end PEARL set? anyone gotta clue. btw-they sound pretty sweet, and look like mahogany (sp?), at least the visible inner layer. grain runs hoop to hoop.

i have a photo of the snare so will post that if i can figure out how to! hopefully you can blow this image up to see detail?

thx and rock on!

1 attachments
Posted on 14 years ago

Probably a home re-do job. Pearl and the stencil kits they made back then were almost always wrapped. I bet something happened to the wrap over the years and to keep them looking "nice" someone got the bright idea to take the damaged wrap off and paint them instead.....

Posted on 14 years ago

looks to be 70's, my :2Cents: but im still a noobie. lol

Posted on 14 years ago

Pearl did not make painted sets during this era, nor did Star, Hoshino, Gracy etc....These shells are mahogany and this particular set is 3 ply. You said they are really thin with re-rings, so they are very deep toned and resonant.

From gRingo

Greetings all. I joined to try and find out about a set i own which might or might not be a PEARL, from the 60s. when i got them i assumed they were nice fakes but now wonder if at least part of the set is legit? the hardware seems correct and they have the gold Pearl script badges, brad nailed (!!) to the drums but my drums have no wrap finish. Instead they are painted red. I can find no reference to painted sets but do recall that 1960s Japanese stuff was kinda hokey and inexpensive looking. could these have been a low end PEARL set? anyone gotta clue. btw-they sound pretty sweet, and look like mahogany (sp?), at least the visible inner layer. grain runs hoop to hoop. i have a photo of the snare so will post that if i can figure out how to! hopefully you can blow this image up to see detail? thx and rock on!

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks fer the info, coupla questions... what is a "stencil" kit? Why's it called that?

I take it my lil ol cheapies have no value now, even as a novelty, because the finish was...altered? Were it still whole, how bout then? Any value? Are there still many of these sets around?

At least I now know the back-story on these things, origin wise! Thanks again.

Posted on 14 years ago

Not much value to the stencil kits, but with the right set of heads and a little work they can sound like christmas x-mas3

Posted on 14 years ago

"Stencil" refers to any kit, even today's Chinese, Taiwanese and Korean, that are mass produced and then have some obscure, unknown "makers" mark, or name. To us, these are typically MIJ or Made In Japan because they are vintage. Many people on this site despise them and tend to blame the MIJ of killing the American drum companies, even though a high percentage of these guys would NOT be drummers today because of them. These drums filled an economic need. In the boomtime from the Rock-n-Roll explosion, the American makers could not keep up and would not fill the lower budget market, therefore leaving the door wide open to imports.

Now admittedly, most of these old kits are junk, even by todays' standards. However, many of these kits are really great drums. This is also a hotly debated fact. As far as value, the real value is in the fact that they are so inexpensive to collect. Many of todays' vintage guys are beginning to see the value in these as gigging kits. They sound great, and since they are cheap, they can be used to replace the irreplacable American Vintage drums so they are not damaged in the typical gigging places, also known as bar

As for the real sale value of these drums, the funkier, "rarer" the wrap, the higher they will go, all the way to as high as 500, although I probably will never pay more than 100-200 for a complete kit in good condition. Also, the shell composition plays a big part. I prefer the thinner, 3 ply shells, as they have a warmer, woodier sound and resonate beyond anything you will find. Many others prefer the thicker 6 and 9 ply shells as they are higher toned than the 3 ply. Heads are again subjective, however fitting can be a chore as many heads are tight on these old cans. It's just where they live. We, as the keepers of the faith, are publicly and consciously trying to keep the prices down in order that they can remain as a collectible for those of us that like them and enjoy collecting, yet cannot afford the high prices American drums command.

Now, since your kit is de-wrapped, and painted, it is worth no more than someone will pay for them. You will probably end up donating them to a broke kid that has the desire to play, yet has no money to purchase a full kit. And they will appreciate them, just watch the look on the face when you tell that poor kid down the street that you are giving lessons to that they are his, as long as he agrees to a few simple conditions. I donate a few rescued kits a year. These conditions are mine, and anyone that recieves a set of my creatioons must sign a contract. They must never sell or pawn them, and that they must continue to learn, somehow, and if they decide to quit, they must either contact me and return the kit, or find someone else that is similar in stature to themselves and donate them to that kid.

[COLOR=red]Actually, I think this may be a 60s kit. The tacked on logo is heard to find much in the 70s, but more easily in the 60s. Could be early 70s. They used so many logo designs it is hard to place. Maybe Osakabop will chime in on the timeline for this badge set.[/COLOR]

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 14 years ago

Stencil kit implies that there were several "brand" names that were created with the same hardware and they usually also have luan shells, sorta like the term "generic" except they have actual brand names on them. I agree with the assertion the wrap was removed, hardware as well, then someone painted the shells and put the hardware back on. So they're probably original except for the finish.

Posted on 14 years ago

I've seen better paint jobs on stolen bikes in the hood LoLoLoLo

"stencil kit" refers to a large number of drum kits that were imported from Japan and Taiwan. Mainly by Pearl and Tama. But as I stated earlier with the right work they can sound just as good. Jonnistix has some helpful you tube videos that will tune that baby right up flowers2

lol, nevermind the experts have chimed in while i was typing! haha!

Posted on 14 years ago

From jonnistix

" We, as the keepers of the faith, are publicly and consciously trying to keep the prices down in order that they can remain as a collectible for those of us that like them and enjoy collecting, yet cannot afford the high prices American drums command."

Bowing AMEN!!!

[QUOTE=jonnistix;75953]

"Actually, I think this may be a 60s kit. The tacked on logo is heard to find much in the 70s, but more easily in the 60s. Could be early 70s. They used so many logo designs it is hard to place. Maybe Osakabop will chime in on the timeline for this badge set."

Lets be honest though, that script badge could have been added to the drum when it was "painted". I think we need more photos Jumping2 of the strainer, and some headless shots of the interior. I love these mysteries!!! i'm so addicted D' Drummer lol

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here