Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.65553%

Fair Price for a Transition Badged Galaxy Snare?

What would you say is a fair market price or value for a Ludwig transition badged Jazz Fest Black Galaxy snare made in 1960 (I believe)? I am considering buying this and wondered what would be a reasonable price.

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestBadge.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestExterior.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestInterior.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Jazzfests usually go for around $350 -depending on the wrap. The Galaxy finish is rare, but it looks as if that example has faded and lost it's color. I would put it in the $350-$500 range.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

O-Lugs,

Thank you for the info on Jazz Fests.

I was unsure of the fade issue, because I thought that there was an early version of Galaxy that only had gold color on the black background. That estimate really helps me and I think that I will pass on this snare.

Thanks for your insight.

I did get a Galaxy Jazz Fest that came up right when I was deciding on this transition badged snare, and was thinking that this transition badge one might still be worthwhile.

Out of curiousity, what would you guess the general price range of the snare that I have pictured below? (I bought this for $500).

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestcleanup21.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestcleanup20.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike,

The "problem" (which really isn't a problem) with transition badge drums is that they are more difficult to match to other drums...due to the fact that the transition badge is rarer (maybe the rarest of all?) Ludwig badges.

RE The Galaxy finishes: I am only aware of the multi-colored Galaxy finish (like the one in your recent picture). I never knew there was an earlier version that you describe (like on the drum with the trans badge). If that is the case, then it may be exceedingly rare....but, again, also difficult to match in a kit.

Some collectors collect specific colors...Other collectors collect specific models of drums....Still other collectors collect made in specific years...Others collect based upon the badge styles. In other words, collecting is specifically un-specific Burger Kin

I think $500 was probably a good price to pay for a really nice Galaxy Jazzfest in all-original condition with no fade, etc. I think it will increase in value over time...or, like I say...until you find two or more people who want it badly enough to go to a bidding war over it...in which case, the sky could become the limit.

I have seen more common drums with rare finishes sell for less $$$ than some other rare drums with more common finishes in some cases....because, for example, if there is a collector who has a complete Super Classic kit in blue sparkle (common sparkle finish) with a matching blue sparkle Jazzfest, and then he comes across an auction for a blue sparkle Downbeat snare drum or an 18 floor tom that will match the rest of his blue sparkle drums, then, even though blue sparkle is a common finish, it is easier to match, complete and/or expand a more common configuration.

Or, an even better example is when a collector has a blue sparkle 12/14/20 "Downbeat" kit and then all of a sudden one day a blue sparkel 12 x 18 bass drum turns up for sale on Ebay. Well, right away, if he buys that little bass drum, he can effectively create two kits out of one. What I mean is, with the 20 bass drum, he has a "Downbeat" configuration, but if he changes out the 18 bass drum in place of the 20, then he has a "Jazzette" configuration -because of the fact that the 12 and the 14 toms are common to both configurations.

Conversely, I have seen burgundy sparkle (rare sparkle finish) 14 X 14 floor toms that don't sell for that much more than other finishes in the same size -because there are far less people out there who have the rest of the kit to match them.

It would be lovely to have a fully-matched 12/14/20 and matching Jazzfest in Galaxy finish! Kiss

Posted on 17 years ago

O-Lugs,

Thanks a ton for the update! I am not sure about the early version of Galaxy, I got that info from Harry C, who mentioned in an email to me that he was only familiar with the Galaxy finish that had the just Gold specks.

He thought that everything looked fine with the picture that I sent him (the ones posted above). If that were the case, (that there is an early version of Galaxy with just the gold colored specks), would that revise your estimate? And if so, just an idea of what kind of value/ price would be fair or realistic for a snare like that?

Thanks again, Mike

By the way, there was a kit that was for sale on Craigslist a while back - 20 -12 - 14 with matching Downbeat snare, plus all the hardware like the flat base cymbal stands, shell mount cymbal holder, cymbals, throne, pedals - a complete outfit!

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike,

Yes, it would change my estimate -but only insofar as the scenario involving someone who is a specific collector of some aspect of that drum -like, if someone was a collector of transition badged drums found out about this drum and he had every other finish of transition badged drums except this one, then it would stand out like a j ewel to him...

...or, if a collector was looking for strictly Jazzfest snare drums and had examples of Jazzfests in every other finish except this one, then it would stand out as well...and so on.

It could go as high as $500 -$700, I suppose. I recently saw a gold sparkle Downbeat snare drum go for over $500. I'll bet it will soon be a part of a gold sparkle kit. IF, say (for the sake of discussion), that hypothetical gold sparkle kit happens to be a 12/14/20 or even better, a 12/14/18, then the value of the Downbeat snare drum is noticeably increased

as part of the collective in addition to its individual rarity. That's what I think, anyway.

I don't really know of a "legitimate" way to give people an estimate of value -other than what I deduce from watching auctions on Ebay. People used to rely on Ned Ingberman before Ebay. He was the "legit" estimate guy. He used to buy low and sell HIGH because he could set his own standards for pricing things and there wasn't anyone around to dispute his expertise. But now, anyone who watches Ebay regularly is as much an expert of valuation as he used to be.

A tremendous thing about this website is that there is no commercial bias here and therefore things like valuations are not influenced by sponsorship. No company stands to benefit from or suffer from any valuations made here. In most cases, we are just people who, via our collecting hobby and love for vintage drums, have taken the time to gather commonly available data and then willingly disperse it to whomever comes here and asks -something a LOT easier to deal with than trying to get estimates from Ned in the "old days"!

It seems that if one is willing to open their doors to international bidders, then they stand a better chance of getting higher prices...but, at the moment, I think most sellers don't want to deal with sending drums overseas and especially drum sets overseas. That trend could change, however... and if it does, then who's to say what those hungry international bidders are willing to pay to get real American drums? Yes Sir

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks again for respondiing to all of my questions O-Lugs. I am naive on the details regarding Ludwig snares and their value as a collectable. My intent on buying a Galaxy Jazz Fest was to complete my Galaxy set that I bought earlier and came with an Acrolite snare. I found a nice Galaxy Pioneer snare for (see picture in drum set gallery) but wanted to eventually complete the set with a matching Jazz Fest.

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/MyGalaxySnares10.jpg[/IMG]

When I saw the picture of the transition badge Jazz Fest I knew that I would still be looking for a matching Galaxy snare that was like my kit. At the same time I came across the transition snare I was able to buy the Jazz Fest pictured above. But I was still intrigued by the transition badge snare and thought about buying it strictly as a collectable. I think that I would do better to save my money towards another purchase in the future.

[IMG]http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa141/MikeJtone/GalaxyJazzFestcleanup25.jpg[/IMG]

It is really interesting about these segments in the vintage drum market that you mention because I really think I have a segment focus in my collecting - the finish (Galaxy, Mardi Gras, Fiesta & Capri) & the era (late 50's to mid 1960's) & finally complete and consistent kits in the above from Rogers, Ludwig, Slingerland & Leedy. I tend to know Rogers better than the others.

Maybe we better hold onto these drums and take good care of them because you are right, when the international influence comes into play prices can go haywire - which is good if you have the drums you want.

As a relative newcomer to both collecting and playing (trying to play!), I am just glad that I have gotten my foot in the door and bought and upgraded a few of these beautiful sets and have them to enjoy!

Thanks again O-Lugs, your knowledge and expertise have been a great resource for me and greatly appreciated.

Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Wow! That's a beautiful set! What a gorgeous wrap that multi-color Galaxy was, huh? It blows my mind how some of those old finishes never caught on...and yet, that's the very thing that makes them such a rare treasure now!

Plus, it's nice to have the options of Pioneer and Jazzfest at hand. Personally, even though the Jazzfest drums are more valuable, I prefer the sound of the 6-lug Pioneer. They have a less-stiff response and offer a few more overtones than the Jazzfests do, in my opinion. I have an old gold sparkle Pioneer from 1964 and I think God, himself must have made it! It's a "perfect" drum! What do YOU think of the comparative sound between the two models?

Posted on 17 years ago

O-Lugs,

Now you must understand that I am a newbie, but I will try to describe as best I can the differences that I hear between the 2 snares this way - by comparing them to 2 other snares that I have had more time to test and compare myself.

I liken the sound of the Pioneer snare to the sound of the Shelley Manne snare that I have - it is a full and broad sound that resonates and I can hear the snare wires distinctly. It has more of boxey woody sound (if those are such words that I could use to describe what I am hearing).

I liken the sound of the Jazzfest to the sound of the Radio King snare that I have - It is much more compact and focused, it cuts through the sound of the other drums and it is more distinct, but it is also more subtle and warm. The snares are like a more subtle sounding metal Dyna Sonic. But it is definitely a tighter, punchier sound that I get from the Jazzfest and the Radio King.

I personally favored the sound of the Shelley Manne to the Radio King for quite awhile, but lately, as I have listened to the Radio King - I have grown to like it and really appreciate it. So right now I would favor the Radio King & the Jazzfest (at least that is my impression).

I am sure I will change and adjust things, because I think the fact that the Pioneer has the Ludwig vintage logo medium head versus the Coated Remo Amabassadors that makes a difference. The Remo head seems to be an older and thinner lightly used head, whereas the Ludwig is a new and thicker head.

Anyway a long story from someone who knows very little, but that's about what I can tell.

That kit is in unbelievable condition, the color is truly astounding. I don't know why these finishes did not catch on more back then, but I am glad to have a set in this Galaxy finish now, it is beautiful!

Thank you again for your responses and compliments on the drums. Now I think I'll go downstairs and test out those 2 snares some more. That Pioneer snare must be an awesome snare! Yes, God has blessed us with these instruments and the sounds they create and the life to enjoy them!

Thanks Mike

Posted on 17 years ago

Mike,

You should at least consider switching the heads to coated DIPLOMATS. Why? I'll tell you....Burger Kin ...It's because the Diplomat weight (7.5 mil) is the same as what the old WeatherMaster heads were. Granted, the mylar used to make drumheads has changed from the old days, but that aside, the weight of the head is what will help revive the original sound characteristics of the drums. That's what I currently use on all my vintage Ludwigs. And on the bass drum, I use a coated Ambassador -again, because it is the same weight as what the old Ludwig WM bass drumheads were (10 mil. thickness).

It is my belief that Diplomats will really change (restore) more of the overall overtone spectrum of vintage Ludwigs. They will dent, though if your technique is to play into the heads too much. Diplomats require you to get the sticks off the heads quicker. Ambassadors are not a "bad" choice...but, man, Diplomats! Whooowee!Burger Kin

Right now, I have two Supras (both Ludalloy models). They both have coated Diplomat batter heads on them. However, one of them has a Diplomat snare side head and the other one has a hazy Ambassador snare side head. I never intended to use a hazy Ambassador snare side head, but that's all the stores had in stock and so I gave into one out of necessity. Like I say...everything else is pretty much the same from Supra-to-Supra, but the hazy Ambassador snare side seems to have darkened the overall tone -in a very nice way! I think I love it. I also love the other drum just as much, but it is noticeably brighter and more "crispy" and I can only attribute that to the ONE different aspect between the two -namely the snare side head weight!

Sometime you should try some coated Diplomats and see for yourself!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here