Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

F-F-F-FINALLY !!!!! A Rogers Wet-Dream Project....DONE (almost).

[COLOR="DarkRed"]O-KAAAAAAAAY.... so, this started long long ago, I think over a year ago actually. By a fluke I found this 3-pc. set of Rogers Cleveland drums, Mardi-Gras wrap, being sold by a guy in the backwoods of Sonoma county. His friend (get this) had been a street performer and CLOWN...and he had 2 drum sets: a Slingy WMP Radio King late '40's, and this Rogers Cleveland Mardi Gras kit. He, ahem, used the Mardi-Gras...for his CLOWN act.

OK, so the guy went back to college...and the seller (his friend) was selling all of his drum stuff for him. These have B & B lugs...but half were cracked (not a bad ratio, actually....I was fortunate to be able to save half.

He also had a trunk full of all the original swivo hardware. The snare, however, wasn't there :( But she had the original tall-boy hoops, all the swivo stuff, the whole nine yards. All orig. stuff except: only the lower half of the cymbal l-arm is rogers, the upper half is a perfectly-fitting Japanese copy.

Shells needed cleaning, hardware stripped and de-rusted, then pitting and such removed with steel wool. Then I had to have a machinist untwist the hex arm for the rack tom....it was the long version...too pricey to find a replacement.

I decided for this one, I had to bite the bullet and go for it:

I took the remaining uncracked B & B's, reinforced the insides with cold weld putty per instructions on the ROF....and moved them all to the RES side of the drums.

I then (gulp) ponied up for Jim Petty's JP2 CReations steel B & B reproduction lugs. OOH ! And....OUCH ! ($20 a shot...just for the casings). I'll let you do the math....

I ordered & paid for 'em on Thanksgiving 2008. They trickled in, slowly, bit by bit...all the way until April 2009. I gotta say...it was frustrating....BUT...they are stellar reproductions.....just fabulous.

THEN....after a year-plus of my "Mardi-Gras in Musical Instruments" saved search on eFlay....there it was. A snare drum. It didn't come cheap, either...and it was an English Rogers. Of interest is...there's less "confetti" in the English version of the wrap. But, it is immaculate and the lugs are perfect. So, that gave me the complete kit.

(I know, I know, the hoop inlays need to be silver sparkle, not red. I'll get to that...sometime ;) ).

Never again will I ever invest such funds and time into a kit.....but....this is sort of a one-time kit, too.

20/12/16/14s[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

I salute you.

Quality restoration. Great job.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Very nice. It sounds at least as good as it looks? Hope you enjoy this investment. Are you going to gig with it?

"Ignorance may be overcome through education. Stupidity, however, is a lifelong endeavor." So, educate me, I don't likes bein' ignant...
"I enjoy restoring 60s Japanese "stencil" drums...I can actually afford them..."I rescue the worst of the old valueless drums for disadvantaged Children and gladly accept donations of parts, pieces and orphans, No cockroaches, please...
http://www.youtube.com/user/karstenboy
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Coffee...16613138379603
Posted on 15 years ago

I really really like it. Nice work.

Posted on 15 years ago

Really nice work Jaye!!!! With your knowledge you deserve a bad ass project!

Cya,

Mike

30's Radio King - 26, 13, 13, 16
49 - WFL Ray McKinley - 26, 13, 16
58 - Slingerland Duco
58 - Slingerland Krupa Deluxe
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 20, 12, 14
70 - Ludwig Champagne Sparkle - 22 (need), 13, 16
And some others..
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Thanks for the kind words. This was the sorta project where I worked on it for a few weeks, then set it aside for months, then back to it as funds allowed, then set aside again, etc.

I AM keeping it. When I told our local vintage drum purveryor, Sam Adato, about it...he said the same thing: "You GOTTA keep that kit".

She sounds very nice. I have her tuned low....and I have the thinnest, lightest clear heads I could find on the res sides of the toms. The bass res head is actually a calfskin which I took off of another eBay Rogers drum. Even though the original B & B's on the res sides have been strengthened, I am not gonna chance putting a lotta tension on 'em.

The snare I am a bit more worried about. She arrived fully cranked up...and as the seller said, no lugs are cracked....which amazed me. I may actually remove and keep the originals in a safe place and replace with a set of originals off of an old Luxor snare...which I will reinforce first with the weld putty/paste. Kinda no way around having to stress snare lugs, y'know ?[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

Hi Jaye,

Great photos...thanks and nice work.

BTW, I have a theory about the cracking of B & B lugs...you know that back during the day when these lugs where used (pre-Beavers), we didn't have global warming, most of us still believed in the tooth fairy or were still twinkles in our Daddy's eye and calf heads were standard.

I think most drummers in the hot and sweaty gigs of the Winter months in the Midwest, New York & New England would crank down to get the higher pitched sound of the day while the lugs were nice and warm inside...THEN...they would pack' em up in the Woodie or beachwagon and head home...if they left their tubs in the car overnight...Voila!!! CRACKS as the soft brass cooled off and became more brittle.

Has anyone installed uncracked B & B's in the New World era, taken them on a gig and had the lugs crack...please comment!

The snare looks awesome, I'm really glad you took her home 'cause she was getting lonely without a kit to work with down here.

Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Hmmmmmm...well, could be that; in that, definitely, expansion and contraction due to temperature can wreak havoc on a lug casing design which is kinda thin to begin with.

Jim Petty had a different theory: B & B's came out when heads were mostly calfskin. When the switch went over to plastic heads (they just are stiffer and more resistant, what with the plastic and the metal rings).... that's when the problems began.

I have to say, considering how much this snare was cranked when I got 'er, I was pleasantly surprised the lugs on it were intact.

What I have noticed is, these being the smaller version B & B's....they tend to survive better than the larger versions. It is usually the large ones which arrive already gone...I do have a few bags of smalls which are still intact.

[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Silver"]and HEY !.....What' d ya mean about the tooth fairy ?????[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here