Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

Extra Holes

Hey guys,

I am currently trying to restore a late 60's round badge Gretsch kit.

These things have been stripped of the og wrap years ago and there are a few extra holes in these things.

I am going to use some hardwood dowels and some titebond to fill the holes in.

Look at this section of my kick drum.

This is where the muffler would have been.

I know that the muffler mount uses three holes.

As you can see there are 2 extra holes in this thing.

Can someone confirm that the 2 holes I circled in this pic are the extra holes?

I want to fill them but if there is something I don't know about that uses them I want to know.

I don't want to fill any holes that I might use.

Thanks guys. :D

1 attachments
www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Come on guys.

Where are all the Gretsch experts? :D

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Nobody?

Lame

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

mac - I looked at the photo you posted. All I can tell you is; the three holes for the Pratt muffler on my late 50's RB bass drum are real close to the bearing edge. Yours are located further back than mine. The holes were also spaced a little further apart from each other on my drum. There were only -three holes-, for the Pratt muffler, I have no idea what the extra two holes are on your drum, or what they are for. I wish I could be more helpful, but that's about all I can tell you. Hey, you can always re-open the holes if it turns out you needed them. It's harder to fill a hole than to drill a new one. I'd plug them and if it turns out they are needed, I'd just whip out the drill and put them back real quick.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 11 years ago

You're right. :D

The 3 in a row look like the same holes in my 13" tom for the mufflers.

I guess I should just plug them and let it rip.

I just wanted some Gretschperts to chime in and drop some science on me. :D

Here's my 13".

I plugged a couple of extra holes in it already. :cool:

1 attachments
www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

Here's a couple more progress pics.

I filled the big hole with a piece of solid maple.

I'm not planning on doing a tom mount right now.

I could always drill it out later. :)

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago

I am doing the same thing that you are doing right now. Though I am not using dowels, as when they are cut off, the end grain shows and if you were to stain the drum, then the plugs will look much darker than the rest of the drum. I used a 1/4 inch plug cutter and then just drilled out the holes I needed to fill with a 1/4 inch drill bit. For the larger holes, I glued rounded scrap veneer to a Dremel "grinding stone" thingy. Then just turned up the drill and ran it against sandpaper until it was the right size for the hole. Worked like a champ.

Posted on 11 years ago

My big problem right now is to decide what to do for the finish. I wanted to stain it Red Oak, but I tried that on a scrap piece, with a practice plug in place, and I wasn't happy with the look. So...I don't know whether to go ahead and stain this color, maybe a maple/clear or try a more reddish stain, or try a wrap. I don't want the wraps offered for this time period, so maybe something custom. I would love a good idea for a custom wrap. Kind of like Chad Smith's tattoo Pearls.

Posted on 11 years ago

That's cool.

With these I'm not too worried.

I am going with a black diamond pearl wrap I believe.

It'll be something a little more "traditional'. :cool:

www.macdrums.com
Posted on 11 years ago
Action Another action Something else here