Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.86430%

extra holes in a vistalite drum

I have a green vistalite tom that has some extra holes drilled in it.The holes are 1/8 in diameter. Is there a process for filling this type of hole? Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Posted on 12 years ago

I would tint some clear epoxy using a 'transparent' artist oil paint to match the color of the drum and fill the holes with the epoxy. Depending on how close you can get to the drum's color, it won't look bad at all. Good luck. Please post photos regardless of which method you employ. I'd like to see how the repair comes out.

Tip: If you tape a plastic coated playing card hard-against the outside of the shell, when you back-fill the hole with the epoxy, the card will create the curved profile to match the outside curvature of the drum. It'll be flush when you remove the card. No sanding!

and... Welcome to the forums!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Thank you John! I will try this inprobably about a week. I'm doing repairs to a supersensitive snare right now and the holes are my next project. Thanks again!

Posted on 12 years ago

I know this is an old thread but in case anyone does a search and runs across this thread, here's my advice: Do NOT use epoxy to repair vistalites. They are made of acrylic and the expansion rates for acrylic and epoxy are different and you don't want undue stress around something like a hole when the temp goes up and down. I'd recommend fixing a hole like this with more acrylic. Check your local yellow pages for a plastic supplier [where I live I go to Tap Plastics] and either try to find some matching acrylic rod to plug the hole with or use some of the 'thick' glue like Weld-On #16 to fill it in. I tape a piece of a plastic lid from a yoghurt container to the shell as a 'dam' to keep the glue in the flaw. You could even take a piece of similar colored acrylic and make your own filler by combining some shavings and mixing it with some of the think weld-on.

By doing this you fill the hollow with acrylic that will match expansion rates and can even be sanded/polished and likely made to be undetectable after repair.

Good luck!

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here