Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.45720%

Expertise Needed --- Now!

I found a couple of Rogers drums (bass & powertone snare) over the week-end in their original Pink Champagne Sparkle wrap that I decided to purchase. Both drums are from the mid-60s and in near mint condition. I left a deposit with the current owner and will be paying off the balance within the month.

I've been considering selling a few drums in my current collection and use some of the money that I raise to help pay off the balance on the Rogers drums. One that I'm considering putting up for sale is an old Ludwig Snare Drum that I've been told is from the 1920s. It's got "Ludwig Trademark" engraved into the shell, has 8-lugs and, I believe, is a chrome over brass piccolo model. It weighs approximately 8 pounds. The drum also has what can best be described as "gut" wires.

The second item I'm considering parting with is my WMP Slingerland Radio King Kit from the WWII era. This one's got the Slingerland Aluminum Cloud Badge(2nd version) on it. The kit was professionally re-wrapped by the Precision Drum Company in New York. Otherwise, I believe that everything's original to the kit, including some of the original calfskin heads.

Soooooooooo...... here are my questions:

1. Can anyone out there identify the model & year of the Ludwig snare drum?

1. Any idea what I'd be able to get for either of these items in a sale?

3. If it was your choice and you actually decided to sell one of the two items, which one would it be and why?

Again, I'm not certain that I'll end up selling either of these items but wanted to get the "experts opinions" before making my final decision.

As usual, thanks for your input!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 15 years ago

The '20s snare is a mid 1920s Ludwig and Ludwig standard...nickel over brass. They weren't called piccolo drums...that's a modern term. It's got a 4" depth...rarer than the more common 5"...not as rare as the deeper ones.

With modern snares, many folks, including me, consider these heavy brass drums, with the two piece shell (you'll see the solder on the inside) some of the best sounding snares of all time. Same shell as a Black beauty. If the drum is a 14", you'll probably regret selling it, but you should get AT LEAST $600 for it.

If it's a 15", that's more of an acquired taste...will probably sell for less. I'd suggest setting it up with modern snares and see if you like it before you sell it.

Posted on 15 years ago

Rich K.:

I just dropped you a PM.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here