Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Expert help needed to identify this vintage $25 5-piece auction score. Thanks!!!!!!!!

These were purchased at an auction for $25. Each drum is matching blue sparkle with matching wood snare, and each drum has re-enforcing rings. This is a real keeper. I don't know what they are, but they sound really really really good. I can't believe how good they sound:

[IMG]http://musicalsound.yolasite.com/resources/bluedrum1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://musicalsound.yolasite.com/resources/bluedrum2.jpg[/IMG]

Maybe the lug pictures can help someone make an ID?

[IMG]http://musicalsound.yolasite.com/resources/bluedrum3lugs.jpg[/IMG]

Anyhow, thanks a lot ahead of time and I hope you enjoy the pictures!!!!

John

Posted on 12 years ago

I'm assuming there are no badges.

Looks like late 60s MIJs. Either Star or Pearl made. I've got a similar set 22/13/12 (need a FT) in what looks to be the same blue sparkle wrap.

$25? Just the drums? Great deal (IMO), but even better if came with everything pictured.

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago

Lugs look like the Hoshino 'shark tooth' design.

But who made Hoshino??? Pearl? Star? Evidence has been found that points to both. So...

Just curious, are the t-rods standard or metric?

Posted on 12 years ago

Hoshino was a total separate company, being neither related to Star nor to Pearl. Second name of 'Hoshino' was Kougyou, whilst Hoshino Gakki = Star = later TAMA FYI

Drumkits with the badge 'Hoshino' on it often were a ridiculous mix of copies of Star together with other parts (at the same set!) looking like copies of Pearl parts.

Ralf

NB: it's a great fortune that this company disappeared somehow in the (late?) 70s.

Vintage STAR (= Pre-Tama) website: www.star-drums.de
Posted on 12 years ago

Definitely Hoshino-no regular spring loaded inserts-just a little threaded metal piece with no spring.I do see a nice bass pedal and hi hat stand.

Posted on 12 years ago

that far right cymbal looks a little green could b older than the rest

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 12 years ago

I like the lamp........:)

Kevin
Posted on 12 years ago

From teverson-sr

Definitely Hoshino-no regular spring loaded inserts-just a little threaded metal piece with no spring.I do see a nice bass pedal and hi hat stand.

Yes you are right teverson-sr, It's a Hoshino made set.Late 60's to sometime is 1974 at the latest.Some of these lugs were made both ways some had the little piece of metal as insert But some also used a spring to hold the round insert in the lug.I have seen many of these lugs both ways.The T-rods can be a odd matric thread-{not the thin thread}- but the fatter size thread if i recall right 6.5 threads on the metric,or the standard 12/24 threads.Shells could be 3 or 5 ply with rings these shells are from the 1960s.If the shells do not have rings the shells would be from 5 to 7 ply from the 70's.Also another way to date your set is look at the mounting screws on the inside of the shells at the lugs if the shells are 5 or 7 ply you would see screws with-out the washers..3 or 5 ply shells would have the washers with the screws.The badges would have been a sticker badge on the drums this makes it very hard to pin point a name of the drums Hoshino used so many names on their exported drums...Mikey

Posted on 12 years ago

probably Pearl...

Posted on 12 years ago

don't know if standard or metric. No badges. Re-enforcing hoops. The drums are very high-pitched, resonant and have a crack. The only known recording I gave of them this 3 seconds at the very beginning of this recording; they were taped to a '60s tube recorder: http://soundcloud.com/musicalsound/taboo-talk-with-san-diegos-john-valencia-kcsd

So hoshinos eh? The next question is what kind of wood, how many plies!! I'll hopefully have better photos at some point.....

Thanks for all of your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Means a lot. This place is a great museum for MIJ drums.....I prefer them over american LOL.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here