Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Everplay Head Equivalent?

I just got a 14X4, 1964 Ajax snare through the post today and want to replace the skins. So, I need some advice on replacements. Wasn't sure which forum to post in, hope this is the right one.

My Ajax has the original Everplay heads and the coating, although filthy, is pretty much in tact on the batter side. Surprisingly, it has quite a 'textured', dry feel to it. This is only the second drum I've owned, so I don't have much by way of comparison, but the coating on my first snare was really smooth. Do most coated heads have a similar textured feel? For example, the Evans G1 coated? (from what I've read, the Everplays were single-ply so a G1 might be a good replacement). Basically, that's what I'm after (textured) as I mainly play brushes.

I swapped the head on my first snare for an Evans J1. Great for brush playing, but (despite what it says on the Evans site) it took some of the brightness out of the snare. Not such a bad thing with that particular drum, but I wouldn't want to put one on the Ajax (it's warm enough as things stand).

I mainly play brushes, so want something textured. Prefer to keep it singly ply and coated (the J1s are slightly transparent, which looks a little ugly on the batter side, if you ask me). Anyway, any recommendations for a close replacement for Everplay heads?

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago

OK, I was reading in an old drum book that the roughness is probably due to 'pin holes'...the result of age. The coated skin must have been smooth in its original state, so I'll try the Evans head I mentioned.

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago

[COLOR="DarkRed"]So basically you are looking for a thinner coated textured head which works for brushes....

I like J1's a lot, a whole lot....although I agree w/ you...I wouldn't call 'em 'bright'...I'd call 'em resonant and vintagey-sounding, though. Much nicer than G1's for sure.

I always like Remo Fiberskyns...also Renaissance...but I think they only come in Ambassador and Emperor weights. But if either came in a Diplomat weight, I'd imagine those would be quite nice.

Can you hunt down just a plain' ol' coated Remo Diplomat ? That might fit the bill.

Aquarian coateds are too heavy, overall....Ludwigs are nothing special...

I have one Jazz friend who likes Attack coateds...they are a thin coated head....also they're quite inexpensive...so maybe there's another possibility

flower

[/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 15 years ago

From Jaye

I have one Jazz friend who likes Attack coateds...they are a thin coated head....also they're quite inexpensive...so maybe there's another possibility

Thanks for that, there's a UK supplier that sells Attack coated heads and I was wondering if they'd fit the bill. Even if they don't, they're inexpensive so it's worth a shot.

I'll also look into some of your other suggestions before making a decision. Much appreciated.

www.brushbeat.org
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here