Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.66388%

Evans heads...................

I'm looking at Evans heads for my Slingerland project. My son builds those 5 string things for a living but is also a dealer for Evans. So I can get a great price on them from him. I have always played Remo's for the most part in the past. How do you guys (and gals) like Evans heads? I like a very deep tom sound for the most part. Should I use a thinner resonant head on the bottoms? And which Evans for the batter side would be best for the sound I'm looking for? Sizes are 12-13-16" toms. And how about the bass which is 22"? I'm getting a white Remo front head with the Slingerland logo on it. But will use a Evans head on the batter side there as well. I'd like to go clear on the rest of the heads but may just get white. Not sure yet.

I've been out of the drumming loop for some time and don't know what's good/bad on heads anymore. Old Remo heads I've used have been the plain white Remo, CS dot heads, a few pinstripe heads and some that had oil between the plastic layers. I did a topic search but didn't get much info on Evans. Any help and advice would be great. I don't have a snare drum yet just the bass and toms. Still looking for nice snare. But need to save up and recoupe a bit. I pretty much blew my budget getting the odds and ends to finish this up so far. LOL all in time I guess.

Thanks everyone for all the advice and parts help so far.

Glenn.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 12 years ago

Evans heads are among the best in the world. Stuff a wad of cash into your sons hands and ask him to bring you home: coated G1 or G2's for the tom batters, ECII reso heads for the toms, ECI or ECII control dot for the snare batter and a Hazy 300 snare head. Evans EMAD for bass drum batter, Coated GI or GII for the bass drum reso.

As good as it gets. No brainer... use sonny's discount!

Here's a lead on an affordable and great sounding snare drum for your kit:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=26854

The seller is a forum member and a great guy, easy to do business with. PM him.

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Cool, sounds good thanks John! Yes for sure the discount is a big plus and helps a lot. Good to hear the Evans stuff is pretty good too.

I've been looking at that snare everyday since it went up for sale. It's a nice one. I wanted one of those way back when I bought my 70's set new. But got talked into a Pearl instead which I was never quite happy with. Need to save a few more $$$ before I can think about this one. Or it would have been on the way here already. If it's still around in a bit hopefully I can snag it. There have been a few nice ones in the FS section lately. :)

Many thanks!

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago

Them's what I use and have for as long as I can remember...

I use a HD Genera dry on the snare.

[IMG]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/320025_2116932729189_1421873130_32030652_114866904_n.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 12 years ago

I tried the G2 over G1 coated combo on my last project...a Slingerland be-bop kit......sounded great. Easier to tune and stay that way than Remo I thought. Aquarian heads sound better to me, but don't always fit older drums without going to the Vintage series heads. So...stamp of approval from me on Evans heads.

Posted on 12 years ago

G2 over G1 is a great combo (coated both sides, of course). You guys should also try out the Gplus line. I like the EC2's on my modern drums. The Genera Dry is my choice for snares all the way - I love these on my Supraphonic.

Posted on 12 years ago

+2 for the G2 over G1 Coated combination. The coated G2 will give you a full rounded tom sound. I've been using Evans for decades now and find them to be a more consistent head than Remo. As with any head combination, it can take time...and money!... to find the right combination that will work for you. As has been stated, I also like a Genera Dry on my snare drums, BUT, that is because when I play, it is in very small areas and I don't need/require "ring" from my snare head. Naturally, when I was playing outdoor venues, years ago, I used un-muffled heads to allow that ring to carry out to the audience. Best of luck with your choice of heads.

Posted on 12 years ago

Thanks very much! I'm heading over there today to order them and some tension rods I need.

Glenn.

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here