Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.65344%

Estate planning

Just been thinking lately , on the premise , that tomorrow is not promised.

So on that note, I was trying to set it up for the family to understand the value and the sentiment behind my collection.

It has come to my attention that no one understands that and therefore could be open to the sharks and scammers out there , so I’m putting notes on everything and labels so they understand what the value is and hope they do well on the sales

It stands to reason once I’m gone it does not matter anyways …,but I hope for a fellow collector to get them and enjoy them. What a dilemma!

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

A timely reminder, for sure Gary.

Two out-of-state friends of mine died in May, one suddenly, one not-so suddenly. They were firearms collectors and neither had an inventory nor a plan for disposing of their collections. Both widows want the stuff out of the house and are relying on friends to sort everything out and get a fair price. A huge job(s).

Drums are easier to sell than firearms (from a legal standpoint), but we should all have an inventory, an estimated worth, and a recommendation for how to dispose of our collections. It won't matter to us, of course - we'll be gone....But "due diligence" - now - on our part will make it much easier on our widow/family.

To be honest, I cringe when I think of all the "treasures" that I have that my wife will have to deal with, if I "go" first. She'll certainly use my name in vain! :-)

I need to get on it; we all need to get on it. Make an inventory, make a plan.

Regards, mb

Posted on 2 years ago

Gary your doing the right thing. We all need to consider this.

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 2 years ago

A few years ago, I started an inventory by creating a Word document listing each drum, drum set, or hardware purchase chronologically starting with my first drum set I purchased around 1985.

I listed the date and price paid or close approximation if I didn’t remember exactly.

I have not dealt with current values however. I guess leaving instructions to search recent sales on eBay, reverb etc. before setting a sale price would work.

Fortunately for me, my middle son caught the drum bug so I’m guessing it would fall on him to handle. Heck he uses half of my drums and cymbals anyway.

As a programmer, numerous times I’ve toyed with the idea of creating an inventory database with a web interface to enter and edit the information. Maybe someday.

1960s Ralston (Star) set in Red Agate Pearl 12/12/16/20
1961 Ludwig Cocktail Lounge drum 24 x 16 in blue sparkle
1966 Ludwig Hollywoods in Sky Blue Pearl 12/13/16/22
1971 Ludwig Super Classics in Blue Sparkle 13/16/22
1976 Ludwig Vistalites in Blue 13/14/16/22
70s/80s Ludwig orphans in Black Cortex "Bonham" style 14/16/18/20/26 (B/O Badges)

Many snares
Posted on 2 years ago

I think these things are a great start, but…

…even with an inventory and a price list, relatives don’t want to deal with our collections. As painful as it may be, sell your collection now so they won’t be burdened. Trust me, our collections are an anchor around their necks. No matter what we catalog, instruct or say is a fair price, they’ll dump the items at just about any price to be done with it. They couldn’t care less about our mantra’s of, it’s all about the hunt, it’s the holy grail, it’s rare and only one of two are known to exist, negotiating is fun…

Pick a day to start divesting, follow YOUR mantras and get them the most cash you can for YOUR “junk”. It’ll hurt and you will miss looking at your prized possessions in that empty room, but THEY will thank you.

SAZ

Posted on 2 years ago

I’ve given my wife/kids the instruction to let my friend, who owns a popular drum shop in the area, go through my drums, cymbals, and percussion instruments and sell them on consignment in his shop.

1970 Ludwig Downbeat
1965 Ludwig Hollywood
1970 Ludwig Jazzette
Posted on 2 years ago

That's what I'd like to do except for the fact that the guy who owns the shop is just a few years younger than me and just as likely to croak as me. Also, he'd sell the store in a heartbeat for the right offer. So, he might not be around as the shop owner when the time comes to divest of the drum gear. I need to find a plan B.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

All is true from everyone’s post

It’s sad that we have to worry about it

time is not on our side “no it is not”

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago

So everyone is leaning towards keeping everything and making their heirs deal with it?

Posted on 2 years ago

i want to depart this world with one--maybe two--drum sets and cymbals and hardware to complete a stage set-up for each of the drum sets. My two children should have autonomy to either keep a drum set or sell it. The rest of my drum gear--stands, pedals, cymbals, and what nots--can be disposed of as they see fit. My hunch is that they will sell it off. Notice that I have not mentioned my wife. I think that she would not wish to participate in this exercise.

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here