Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Enlarge the hole, grind the mount or keep looking??

I'm working on my 66' Slingerland kit with the old clip style tom mount. It is the rectangular chrome plate with the pipe and keyed collar extending from it. Well my orginal is really rusted and the chrome had flaked off... it looks bad. So I kept looking and looking and looking (months) and finally I found another one on ebay in beautiful shape.

Problem; on the one I found the reciever pipe extends about a quarter inch out the bottom of the rectangular mounting plate. That pipe does not fit into the hole on the 20 inch base drum.

On the orginal the plate and pipe are flush on the bottom of the plate and the hole in the drum just fits the tom mount pipe when you slide it in.

So just asking opinions, would you:

Enlarge the hole in the drum, grind the mount flush or keep looking for correct mounting plate??:confused:

Not a Guru... just interested..
Posted on 17 years ago

Keep Looking

David

Posted on 17 years ago

Yeah.. I guess I knew that was the right answer... I was just so stoked after finding this mount I had been looking for and it is in perfect condition.

I'm bummed:(

Thanks for keeping me honest... anybody need a Slingy tom mount??

Posted on 17 years ago

I cannot play on a kit with a clip stype mount unless the rail is on top of the drum and I use the biggest extended rod money can buy. I'm all for putting the drum on a stand with a rims mount until you can find what you are looking for. But I can't get the tom in a comfortable position with a conventional rail with rod and tongue setup.

Gary

Dix Hills, NY

http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee19/sabshga/

http://www.myspace.com/garysabshon

Posted on 17 years ago

Interesting... wow I checked out your photos.. you do like those toms up high. I'm not a very good drummer, just goofing off in the basement since I picked up this garage sale kit very much on a whim.

The height on the clip mount doesn't bother me much but I would like a more inward angle on the toms. I have looked at the early "set o'matics" it appears that post would slide into my mount without drilling new holes in base drum.

I may save up some cash and try to pick up a set of those mounts and find some junk toms to bolt them to for a trail run before I go drilling these clean '66's to fit the mount.

I did end up getting the early mount pipe ground down.. turned out real good. I don't have it back together yet.

Posted on 17 years ago

One suggestion. If you've bought something on ebay that ends up not working for you...resell it on ebay. You will sell it! Just list the starting bid for what you paid. Someone will buy it. I'm all for doing your kit as you see fit, but vintage Slingerland drum kits aren't cheap, and their hardware is always needed by someone.

In my past experience it's always worth getting the right thing no matter how long it takes.

There are also a lot of drum sellers on ebay who network and I have found a lot of parts by asking sellers who know of 3 to 4 people they can email or call that might have what you are looking for. I haven't had a bad experience with a good drum seller on ebay. We are pretty good people who are willing to help each other out.

Finally....keep looking!

Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here