Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Can anyone share opinions on how restoration affects vintage drum values. Some of the kits I'm considering claim to have been professionally restored.i.e Arkansasdrumworks.

Posted on 15 years ago

We have probably discussed this topic prior in different forms and you will get a variety of answers and heated opinions..

The problem is that people use tha word for general cleaning and other people use that word for a complete make-over. "Driver, ---- Move that bus"

There are cases with the much older historical drums and even many of the early 20's snares that Mike Curotto handles where the value is improved with proper restoration.

In regards to the mentioned company, they have a process for restoration that they claim is unique and special.

Unless the process is clearly stated as to what was done to a drum, then stay away.

Things like re-painting white interiors, adding date stamps, and re-badging, then I would stay away if you think those changes are being made. Even a re-wrap could be considered a "Restoration"

If they can say the drums are 100% original and nothing has been changed or altered then you have a better chance at getting a nice restored set and it could be worth more.

On the other hand if you like doing the restoration or if you wait long enough that set in the back of a closet will be yours some day and the restoration will be a good cleaning and you will for sure know where the drums came from and what was done to them.

There are some great sets showing up that are not restored and look original including the dirt and grime. That is what I would buy!

David

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here