Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

elvin gretsch, first 16 bass drum in history?

the first?

1 attachments
Posted on 2 years ago

Chico Hamilton used a 16” with Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker in LA. I don’t know the year.

Posted on 2 years ago

About 1/3 of the way down the page. This was the early 1950’s https://www.jazzwax.com/2009/03/interview-chico-hamilton-part-2.html

Posted on 2 years ago
Posted on 2 years ago

From hipercussion

Yes. He describes the scenario in the linked text and that photo appears also.

Posted on 2 years ago

anecdote:

When I was about 30 years younger, I was at a jazz club in Tacoma, WA, watching an older guy setting up his kit. We were the only ones in the room at the time so I was chatting with him a bit. The snare drum he was playing looked like it was 6.5 inches deep and he was playing a 16 inch floor tom in a cradle for his bass drum. I said something like, "Wow. That snare drum is almost as big as your bass drum." His answer to me was, "That's what jazz is all about.".

So, in case anyone asks you what jazz is all about, now you can tell them. ;)

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

Is that drummer the same guy who also told us that the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?

No matter how far you push the envelope, it is still stationery.
Posted on 2 years ago

I dunno....All I know is that I put my right foot in...I put my right foot out....I put my right foot in and I shook it all about....

....heh heh

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 2 years ago

But then I put my left foot up my lol

April 2nd 1969 scarfed pink champagne holly wood and 65/66 downbeat snare, and , supra same year very minty kit old pies
66/67 downbeat with canister
Super 400 small round knob
1967 super classic obp

once the brass ceases to glitter, and the drum looses its luster, and the stage remains dark, all you have left is the timbre of family.
Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here