Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Electricans Tape Glue Residue from Wrap

Dear Fellow Members,

Yesterday, I bought a vintage set of Stars with original heads, hardware and foot pedal. They are mint!! The wrap is a red diamond pearl or something similar. Only trouble is that years ago, a couple of tears occurred near the top rim of the floor tom. The tears were then wrapped completely around with electricians tape to prevent them from growing bigger. When I removed the tape, a clear residual, dried glue was visible. I've tried soaking the entire strip with liquid detergent and even baby oil. Nothing. The minor tears can be easily repaired but, the strip of clear, dull, residual glue ruins the entire finish!

Please help, my friends! This is a real find for me. I'd like to clean it up perfectly. The chrome is great, badges all there and the skins are without rips.

Thank you!

Brian

Salty 1322

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 14 years ago

i find that goof off spray works well. it's not too strong that it will ruin the wrap but it's strong enough to remove the glue residue though. just spray it on a rag and use a little elbow grease and it should come off.

that's my experience anyways.

1969 Sky Blue Pearl Ludwig
12, 13, 16, 22, 14 (supraphonic)
Posted on 14 years ago

From rynosaurus

i find that goof off spray works well. it's not too strong that it will ruin the wrap but it's strong enough to remove the glue residue though. just spray it on a rag and use a little elbow grease and it should come off.that's my experience anyways.

If that doesn't work try isopropyl or rubbing alcohol. i've used it on various wraps-----in fact completely cleaned entire grimey drums with a mixture of it and a small amount of detergent, it is water soluble and can be washed off easily. next on the list of mild solvents is turpentine. i have had to use it a few times on stubborn hardened glue residue and it was great ----no problems with the wrap and only a faint turpentiney smell lingered for a while afterwards. it can be washed off with detergent and water. if you are skeptical about its safety-----try a bit out on a tiny bit under the hoops or under a lug. most of those old wraps were celluloid-----not really a plastic so only the strongest solvents will do them in.

Posted on 14 years ago

Brian, I would use Goo Gone, the one that comes in a plastic bottle, not the spray bottle. If you give it a few seconds and rub it in with a rag or your finger, it usually takes off any kind of sticker or tape residue, even duct tape.

For a really awful contact wrap residue I had to remove from a wrap I used Goof Off first, then Goo Gone to clean up the rest.

Posted on 14 years ago

A second vote for Goo Gone. It is magic on sticky things.

Posted on 14 years ago

Ive used a penetrating oil called PB B'laster to remove dried duct tape residue.Let it sit on the affected area and rub it in with a rag in a circular motion.Some of the hardened crusty bits I removed VERY CAREFULLY with a single-edge razor blade on it's side.2 or 3 applications melted it all off.

Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your ideas! Believe me, I tried them all. What happened was that the tape over the last thirty years had somehow penetrated into the wrap, leaving a dull, hard finish which was now part of the wrap. The tears in the original wrap could have been repaired but, the tom would have looked terrible. The entire set is now being re-wrapped.The original red pearl could not be matched. Although I know many purists would not look kindly upon wrapping a vintage set with non-vintage color, I don't care. mine are being done in turquoise sparkle simply because I like it!

Thanks again, everyone!

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 14 years ago

Another vote for

Goo Gone!

-kellyj

"It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing..."
Posted on 14 years ago

How can this be a vote for Goo Gone when it didn't even come close to working? When I said that nothing worked, that is exactly what I meant.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here