Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Educate Me, Please! - Ludwig Cymbal Stands

I'm trying to obtain some information regarding Ludwig 1400 flat-based cymbal stands.

I've got a total of four of these -- two that I purchased with my original 1963 Ludwig Sky Blue Pearl Kit and two that I picked up elsewhere through the years.

As I was doing an early spring inventory of my "drum stuff" I noticed that there are some differences among the four stands I've got and I'm hoping that you Ludwig experts out there can help provide answers to the following questions:

1. Two of my 1400 stands have "teardrop shaped tilters, while two have "round" tilters. Was one configuration unique to the 60s and the other to the 70s? If so, which belongs to which time period?

2. Did the Ludwig Drum Company engrave the Ludwig logo into its 1400 cymbal stands during the 1960s? Three of my stands have no Ludwig logo whatsoever, while one stand has the Ludwig "block L" logo engraved on the lowest section of the stand, just above the three legs. I'm assuming that this designates a stand from the 1970s. Correct?

3. Were the 1400 stands issued from the factory with "round" rubber feet on the legs or with feet with "flat, ridged" bottoms? Three of my stands have the round feet, while one has the flat, ridged ones.

4. Did all the 1400 stands come with "warning" labels on them? Only one of my stands has a label. It's a blue and silver label with black printing on it. I believe that it's a warning label, advising not to over-tighten the screws on the stand. I'm not certain since part of the label is missing. Did all the 1400 stands produced in the 1960s and 1970s come with such labels?

THANKS TO ALL in advance for your help!Clapping Happy2

Posted on 16 years ago

I?ll have a go at these questions but I?ll have to pass on the first question about the shape of the tilters, sorry.

The Ludwig ?block? logo first appeared around 1969, if your stand has these logo?s it?s from the very late 60?s or early 70?s, so yes you are correct.

About the feet, I assume your three stands with the ?flat? feet are the same earlier stands without the Ludwig logo?s. I believe they are known as button feet. These were early 60?s (pre 65). I think what you describe as flat rigid feet are simple slip on rubber tips, the most common type that started somewhere around 65.

As far as I know Ludwig started putting warning labels on the later 60?s stands when they changed to that ?block? logo. Hope this helps and anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong. Cheers.

Posted on 16 years ago

I have always thought that the round heads were the earlier ones while the teardrop ones came a little later. Not sure though. Ludwig started using the 70's style logo in early to mid 1968. I don't know when they started getting stands engraved this way but I have seen sets from 1968 with the 70's version logo on the bass drum head. In fact my July 8th 1968 silver sparkle set came with this head as did my March 26th 1969 mod orange set.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

I believe you got it right, the round heads are the earlier one. One other distinction is the way the upper most rod tightens. The early sixties stands had a little clip , a small piece of metal with a 90 degree bend in it and a hole (I think) for the rod to go through and a wingnut to tighten the clip to keep the upper rod at the desired height. They are visible in the pictures below. I have pictures of Ringo on Kits from about '65 forward that show the stands with the regular wingnut tightening the upper rod. the early ones are not as good as the later ones for this reason, but they do work and are collectable as hell. I wouldn't use oone with the clip for a heavy 22 or 24 inch cymbal. Matt

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/onemat/Share/RingoOnStage4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f357/onemat/Share/RingoOnStage2.jpg[/IMG]

Ludwig-Zildjian-Aquarian
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here