Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Edgware: convert a 14 x 10 marcher into a 14 x 5 snare

Hi Folks,

I'm working on hand-laying a quite coarse red glitter on a set of orphan premier shells that I bought for almost nothing. I also wanted a more-or less fitting snare.

I came across this marcher (14 x 10) that I liked the looks of and that looked English to me. Also it was made of wood that fit the project (3 ply birch with solid beech re-rings). I bought it and decided to cut it down to 14 x 5. After some research I am pretty sure it's an Edgware. Proces-pictures below

1. starting point

2. cut down, re-ring freed from remaing birch, re-ring installed on round mold

3. glueing

4. after cutting new bearing edges (like original).

4 attachments
Vintage and custom drum projects:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php...2305272732%3A6
Posted on 9 years ago

Looks like you know what your doing. Nice job!

Thank you!
Jeff C

"Enjoy every sandwich" Warren Zevon
Posted on 9 years ago

Wow! Great job, that looks factory.

I'm curious to hear more about this hand-laid flake finish. Is it similar to the process of applying a sprayed on flake finish? I'd like to learn more about it, especially if it is something a novice woodworker could attempt.

Jazz snob in training

No relation the other KL from PA
Posted on 9 years ago

King Louie, it's very simple. I'm sure you can do it.

Suppose you want a red sparkle. Strip the shell, remove glue etc. Sand. Apply a thin layer of primer (terpentine based, I'll explain why later). Apply a thin layer of red laquer. All of this with a brush, no need for expensive spray paint. After drying, sand lightly. Then cover the shell in a reasonably thich layer of colourless laquer. Sprinkle red glitter flakes on the wet laquer. until completely covered. In fact you should overdo it a bit. the surplus of flakes will fall off and can be re-used. tap on it lightly with a clean hand (this way you push the flakes in the laquer). Allow to dry for a day. rub slighty with hand, to remove non-stuck particles. Apply a thick layer of colorless laquer. When this layer is dry but not yet hard: take a clean piece of baking-paper, put in onthe surface en rub strongly to smoothe the surface somewhat (baking paper won't stick). Allow to dry. DONT SAND!!! because you'll sand through the firts layer of laquer easily and you'll sand the red of some flakes, making them silver!!! you don't want that. Aplly a couple of layers, day after day, sand in between very lightly. After a couple of layers it all kind of smoothens out. The more layers the smoother, depending on tast. Use only high gloss paint. When it is mooth enough, sand strongly with 120, layter 180, 240. Then apply one last layer of spraypaint (on terpentine basis, not thinner basis like car paint, it will ruin everything!!!!).

Terpentine based paint flows better than water based paint.

I advice you to make tests firts to get the hang of it.

Good luck.

Posted on 9 years ago

Handlayed red sparkle (not a wrap!). One last layer of laquer and then the hardware can be installed.

1 attachments
Posted on 9 years ago

Very nice work.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 9 years ago

From bartw

Handlayed red sparkle (not a wrap!). One last layer of laquer and then the hardware can be installed.

Man...that turned out sweet! Thanks for the tips.

- EMD
Posted on 9 years ago

Beautiful - very nice job! You're an artist. Congratulations on your Premier orphaned drum kit.D' Drummer - Red Sparkle - one of my very favourite finishes.

Posted on 9 years ago

Thanx to all for your compliments. Feels good to make something beatiful and to know that it's appreciated.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here