Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 130.46347%

eBay wrap source?

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has dealt with eBay seller sparkledrumwraps before and/or purchased the wrap that he sells. It's tempting at 60 bucks a roll, and can go over the original, but even on my MIJ kit I dont want to rewrap if it ends up looking bubbly or anything like that. What do you guys think?

Kits:
1966 Ludwig Hollywood Gold Sparkle Pearl 12/13/16/22
Star 3pc in Red Glass Glitter (1960's)
Snares:
1959 Ludwig Pioneer Mahogany
60's Ludwig Pioneer Gold Sparkle
60's Ludwig Acrolite (Keystone)
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

It ends up bubbling and there's no way you could ever take them outside in the sun or elements.

You get what you pay for!

John

Too many great drums to list here!

http://www.walbergandauge.com/VintageVenue.htm
Posted on 12 years ago

Ah.... I've had a run in with this character. Firstly, the product is okay, but is thin, susceptible to tearing, buckles around lugs and mounts, not readjustable, and leaves a thick sparkle residue if removed. Apart from that, it can look pretty good if carefully apploed, and is a reasonable alternative to spending a fortune on proper Delmar wrap for a cheap kit, at least in the short term.

As far as 'Sparkledrumwraps' the vendor goes, here's my experience with him: Firstly, I bought the product itself from another ebay vendor who had been selling full rolls of the product, ( I'm in Canada, and had several projects I'd planned to try re-wrapping, so cost-wise it made much more sense to buy it in bulk). Before I had a chance to contact this alternate vendor however, he removed his listing with the explanation, something to the affect that he did not want to infringe on any other vendor's territory, (something like that - I'm paraphrasing). Managed to work out a deal with him regardless, and ordered several full rolls. Once received, I experimented a bit with the product, and was about to attempt a mid-range kit project, but thought I'd do a little research first. Ran across a Youtube video posted by Sparkledrumwraps, purporting to have a great technique that would allow for better adjustment/positioning of this wrap material on the shells. He demonstrated how to mix a small amount of dish soap in a spray bottle of water, and spray the shell before applying the adhesive wrap, so it could be adjusted. I followed his instructions implicitly, and yes, it did allow for some adjustability, however it also left a cloudy residue under wrap, which was very noticeable, as product is not completely opaque. Needless to say, I was unimpressed. In my frustration, I added a comment under his Youtube video, stating that I'd tried this technique, and it failed. Soon thereafter, I got an ebay message from Sparkledrumwraps, telling me that he'd be happy to replace the spoiled wrap, and help me through the process to make it right. I got back to him, and explained that I had not purchased the product from him, but would greatly appreciate his help to remedy this problem that he'd explained, would be, "an easy fix". Once he realized that I'd not purchased the product from him however, his helpful attitude quickly dissipated. He then proceeded to get quite hostile towards me, and took offense to my youtube comment, (which he promptly removed) and refused to help me any further, even after I had apologized, (several times in fact) for the comment which I told him I would happily revise if he would assist me in resolving the issue. He accused me of "blackmail" for this suggestion...

Personally, I would not deal with this vendor, and the product itself, (sparklebrite I believe it's called) can be found elsewhere - can be effective, and attractive, but not nearly as durable as 'real' drum wrap. And that's the truth-th-th-th.

LOGOS - Vinyl Bass Drum Brand Logo Decals
http://www.ebay.ca/usr/barrhavendrum...p2047675.l2559

Barrhaven Drum Guy
Posted on 12 years ago

Nice :)

No really, that sucks. I was kind of getting that impression just by the over-enthusiastic product description, but wanted to make sure it wasn't a forum member or anything... my wrap is fine too, I was just exploring re-cover options.

Kits:
1966 Ludwig Hollywood Gold Sparkle Pearl 12/13/16/22
Star 3pc in Red Glass Glitter (1960's)
Snares:
1959 Ludwig Pioneer Mahogany
60's Ludwig Pioneer Gold Sparkle
60's Ludwig Acrolite (Keystone)
Ludwig/Custom 6.5x14
1960's Bolero (MIJ)
Posted on 12 years ago

Yes, Ive seen that also. Drummers that have used it tell me that it buckles around the lugs, and that its very thin, and tears easily if something (like a cymbal stand) should come into contact with it. Me, I pass.

If you look around at some of the vinyl manufacturers, you will find lots of other cheaper alternatives to cheaply cover a set of drums. The only gotya is that you need to use double sided tape. But it works!

Posted on 12 years ago

I had the guy send me samples... and when I got them, I was impressed by the color selection and they looked good. But, I do mostly players set, and I didn't think there would be any way that this stuff would hold up to traveling around...

So, as said above, "you get what you pay for."

Bill

Bill
Cherryvale, Ks
"Redrums - Ks" on FB and Reverb
(also "billnvick" on eBay)
Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here