Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.66180%

eBay 60's? RB snare shell today

I saw this and couldn't resist bidding. Man! - it's first time I've been involved where the bidding went down to the second! Wasn't expecting that.

I got it for a reasonable price I think. The badge is probably worth as much or more than the $76 I paid for the drum.

I'll try to restore it with 'era' parts probably. I'm not selling it, I'm thinking of the person that ends up with it down the road many years (I hope) from now.

These are low quality photos from the seller's eBay listing.

Posted on 14 years ago

Gary if there is no shell damage, get the original parts back on it and re wrap it, that red sparkle sure wouldn't look bad again??singer

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

rewrap it! Make it look factory!

-64 Ludwig Black Oyster Classic kit 22,13,16
-65 Leedy BDP 22,13,16
-65 Ludwig WMP Clubdate 20,12,14
-66 Ludwig Red sparkle Downbeat
-60's Gretsch RB Green Glass 22,13,16
Lots of cymbals, snares and orphans, old and newish
Posted on 14 years ago

Yes - that would be my first choice. However it may be difficult to find Vintage 60's wrap - don't you think?

When I was thinking I might have to rewrap my 58 Gold Sparkle drums (thank God I did not have to) I did look for that Vintage Sparkle - mine has the uniform - more or less - little hexigon sparkles. All I could find out there was the Sparkle 'flakes' nobody had the Hexagon Sparkle.

No biggie I guess.....becaues I'm not too uptight about the 'exact' Red Sparkle for this drum.......but it would be nice to have that.

"Make it Factory?" Does that mean era die-cast hoops or are the Gibraltar ones good enough.......they're easier to buy. I'll have to make that call. And you never know what you'll find on eBay. I feel like an eBay pro after 'duking' it out this morning right down to the last second! Eye Ball haha.

Posted on 14 years ago

From Kona

Yes - that would be my first choice. However it may be difficult to find Vintage 60's wrap - don't you think? When I was thinking I might have to rewrap my 58 Gold Sparkle drums (thank God I did not have to) I did look for that Vintage Sparkle - mine has the uniform - more or less - little hexigon sparkles. All I could find out there was the Sparkle 'flakes' nobody had the Hexagon Sparkle. No biggie I guess.....becaues I'm not too uptight about the 'exact' Red Sparkle for this drum.......but it would be nice to have that."Make it Factory?" Does that mean era die-cast hoops or are the Gibraltar ones good enough.......they're easier to buy. I'll have to make that call. And you never know what you'll find on eBay. I feel like an eBay pro after 'duking' it out this morning right down to the last second! Eye Ball haha.

can't you have the wrap custom made?? also you can go with a current color?? green sparkle?? or bermuda sand??

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

Congratulations on winning that Dixieland shell. I looked at that one myself and decided to pass. A few things I have found when it comes to these drums.....the die cast rims are hard to find, as are the renown style throw-offs. Mine was missing the correct butt end and throw-off and had extra holes, but the rims were there. These are 6-lug drums and 6-lug Gretsch die cast rims are hard to come by if they are not with the drum already. Also, it took me over a year to find the correct butt end and renown throw-off. So, keep that in mind if you plan to restore it correctly. Also took me about as long to find a set of correct Gretsch Responso snare wires for it too.....

If you are to restore it to keep for yourself then definitely re-wrap it in the original (or as original as you can find) red sparkle. Red glass glitter may be closer to what Gretsch used rather than regular red sparkle. If you are looking to turn a profit, thats going to be a tough one since these snares are under-appreciated on the market, much like a Ludwig Pioneer model is. "Hey its just a 6-lugger!" I have mine on ebay now with a rediculous price, but thats what I have into it and I probably will never break even on it. If it sells, great. If not, it stays in the collection. Thats the way I look at it. Anyway, most of these only go for less than $300, and that has to be completely mint condition and original. Since it was a student model, most have lead a hard life...like yours and mine before the resto....so, the value is much lower. I've seen asking prices as high as $895 on ebay, but they'll never get it. These average around $250-$275 in mint shape. You'll have more than that into it in parts by the time you are done. So....only restore if you absolutely love the drum and plan on keping it for yourself, as you'll never break even on a resale after restoration.

Posted on 14 years ago

I have a couple Responso snares I aquired during my 58 Gretsch restore.

The hoops - although I have seen a few lately on eBay were not cheap.

I don't particularely like the old Renown throw-off - but it works.

Yes - I've noticed what these drums are going for these days. However, things are changing pretty fast in the Vintage Drum world. You never know what the future will bring.

I probably would be well advised to restore this drum as close to original as possible. Like I always say.....the next person that gets my drum/drums may appreciate that a lot.

Just look at some of the very expensive Vintage drums now and what they were selling for a few decades ago. Lots of people twenty or thirty years ago (now too) drilled holes or otherwise altered a drum not thinking much of it. But - today when we look at, for example, a 4x14 1957 Gretsch snare drum in Champagne Sparkle that has been highly altered we cringe and say why!? :eek: - Especially when we're looking for that very drum and it's in our neighbours attic and ALTERED - haha - oh s**t

I appreciate all the help here guys. This is a great Forum.

Thanks,

From Ludwig-dude

Congratulations on winning that Dixieland shell. I looked at that one myself and decided to pass. A few things I have found when it comes to these drums.....the die cast rims are hard to find, as are the renown style throw-offs. Mine was missing the correct butt end and throw-off and had extra holes, but the rims were there. These are 6-lug drums and 6-lug Gretsch die cast rims are hard to come by if they are not with the drum already. Also, it took me over a year to find the correct butt end and renown throw-off. So, keep that in mind if you plan to restore it correctly. Also took me about as long to find a set of correct Gretsch Responso snare wires for it too.....If you are to restore it to keep for yourself then definitely re-wrap it in the original (or as original as you can find) red sparkle. Red glass glitter may be closer to what Gretsch used rather than regular red sparkle. If you are looking to turn a profit, thats going to be a tough one since these snares are under-appreciated on the market, much like a Ludwig Pioneer model is. "Hey its just a 6-lugger!" I have mine on ebay now with a rediculous price, but thats what I have into it and I probably will never break even on it. If it sells, great. If not, it stays in the collection. Thats the way I look at it. Anyway, most of these only go for less than $300, and that has to be completely mint condition and original. Since it was a student model, most have lead a hard life...like yours and mine before the resto....so, the value is much lower. I've seen asking prices as high as $895 on ebay, but they'll never get it. These average around $250-$275 in mint shape. You'll have more than that into it in parts by the time you are done. So....only restore if you absolutely love the drum and plan on keping it for yourself, as you'll never break even on a resale after restoration.

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here