Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Early Tama confusion

Since it seems that Much of the early Tama history isn't well known I thought I'd make a quick post describing Tama drums in the '70s into the '80s.

The first line of drums under the Tama name were Swingstars. Followed by Imperialstars,Royalstars,Superstars, and Fibrestar. Until the mid '80s these were the lines. Now here is where the fun begins. When Tama introduced the Imperialstars they were the flagship high end. In '74 the Swingstar & Royalstar lines were being made using '60s hardware ( rail mounts,off set lugs, single center lugs ) I can only assume there was still some demand for kits such as that. But in '75 the Royalstars featured modern hardware - yet had the exact same shells as the Imperialstars. Now in '77 the Swingstar drums had the same shells as both Imperialstar & Royalstar and even had the same lugs as the Royalstar. The only difference was the name. They were the exact same drums. This was true until the mid '80s when they stopped making Imperialstars,Royalstars,Superstars in favor of Artstars, Granstars, etc... That is when the Swingstar became the bottom line of Tama drums. I am including a few photos from catalogs to show this. Also a link to look through Tama catalogs from the '60s until today. You'll also notice the descriptions of the drums are basically the same. This makes things very confusing as until the Superstars all their lines were more or less the same with slight feature differences. Here is the link to all the catalogs -

http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/anniversary/

4 attachments
97.4 kB
107.3 kB
63.2 kB
18 Kits & 40+ snares..
Not a Guru, just addicted to drums

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

As I can recall, in the early Tama days the Imperialstar and Royalstar had the same hardware, the only difference was in the shells. Imperialstars had re-rings while Royalstars didn't. The badges on the Imperialstars had serialnumbers and the Royalstars didn't have serialnumbers (but correct me if I'm wrong). Later on Royalstars shared the same hardware as the Swingstars, the only difference where the amount of lugs on the bass and snare, Royalstars had 10 and Swingstars had 8.

Posted on 7 years ago

That's very informative, Jay. Thanks for posting. You certainly are right. Over time, information becomes blurred. Interesting but, blurred.

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 7 years ago

From neorich05

As I can recall, in the early Tama days the Imperialstar and Royalstar had the same hardware, the only difference was in the shells. Imperialstars had re-rings while Royalstars didn't. The badges on the Imperialstars had serial numbers and the Royalstars didn't have serial numbers (but correct me if I'm wrong). Later on Royalstars shared the same hardware as the Swingstars, the only difference where the amount of lugs on the bass and snare, Royalstars had 10 and Swingstars had 8.

Yes Imperialstars did have re-rings for the majority of the '70s. You're also correct with amount of bass drum lugs & snare lugs. Personally I like the reduced weight, those drums are heavy.

The Royalstars & Imperialstars never had the same lugs. The Imperialstar lugs were used with the Superstars. While the Royalstar lugs were used with the Swingstars. All the badges did have serial numbers though by the '80s. But from what I see the Royalstars & Swingstars didn't have them for the majority of the '70s. So you're correct on that.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

Yes ArchxAngel you are correct on the hardware, Royalstars had the pointy lugs. Somehow I got confused. I have seen many Star snare drums in the Imperial and Royal lines that share the same lugs. Like the King Beats I've seen both Imperial and Royals and I wonder what's the difference if they have the same lugs and hardware and the shells looks identical.

Posted on 7 years ago

The Royalstar shells changed in '82 with 2 plies of Shina added to the make-up as well as dropping to 8 lug bass drums

Posted on 7 years ago

Hello, my friend!

Here's one for you concerning early Tama confusion!!! I have a Star conga drum from 1972 (Tama Catalog, 1972, #22). On the badge is stamped : "Star, Quality instruments since 1908". I remember reading somewhere that Star did exist back then but, I'm not sure they sold musical instruments, especially drums though. The odd thing is though, the badge definitely reads " Quality instruments".

Brian

Just a drummer who loves all things about vintage drums! Nothing more, nothing less.
Posted on 7 years ago

Star were making and selling drums from the early 60's not sure about the 1908

Posted on 7 years ago

They were making instruments for a while, I have no doubt they made drums prior to the '60s. They were mainly making guitars back then. Their exact time line of when they started really making drums on a large scale is fuzzy. We know they were in the '60s, but that's when they started to export them. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were making them in the '50s as Pearl was.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago

From dukekamaya

The Royalstar shells changed in '82 with 2 plies of Shina added to the make-up as well as dropping to 8 lug bass drums

You are correct. They did make this alteration to the Royalstar line which was on it's way out. The Imperialstar & Swingstar shells remained the same. '84 is when the Royalstar & Swingstar lugs changed and If I'm not mistaken was the last year for Royalstars. in '86 they had the Beatstar which didn't last long. Then came the lower end Camco line which led way to the Rockstar line. '83 saw the Artstar series, '86 had the Granstar & Crestar. By then the Imperialstar & Supertstar were done being produced.

18 Kits & 40+ snares..

- Jay
Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here