Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.05637%

Early bass drum pedals outside the USA

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I'm researching the history of the drum kit, and I'm particularly interested in the invention of the bass drum pedal.

There has been some good research done on the first bass drum pedals in the USA. However, there is not much information on the first uses of the bass drum pedal outside of the USA. Given that the UK and Germany both had significant drum manufacturers (Hawkes and Son, Sonor, etc.) prior to World War I, I want to find out when countries outside the USA started using, distributing or manufacturing bass drum pedals (even if they came originally from the USA).

So my question is this: does anyone have any drum catalogues or advertisements from outside the USA prior to World War I, or even prior to 1927 (when Hawkes and Son start making Ajax drums)?

I hope someone can help me find the answer to these questions. Thanks very much for your help!

Matt

Posted on 12 years ago

I know that Sonor manufactured the first double pedal way back in the early 1900s. In fact, I believe Sonor is the world's oldest drum manufacturer. Many other manufacturers copied Sonor innovations (especially Ludwig). You can check out this thread about early bass drum pedals on the Sonormuseum for more info: http://www.sonormuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9589

Barry

Posted on 12 years ago

Sonor had the first BD pedals, both single and double , also the first HH, but interestingly enough,...WFL, I believe,...live about thirty miles from the Sonor factory and both Link and Ludwig would give a handshake or nod when it came to inovations and copying each other. For instance, the 1935 Sonor snares had excact same lugs as the Ludwig Classic. So my input would be that of the BIG TWO,...in the early days,..they seem to acknowladge each other before marketing new designs. Probably because Sonor didn`t open their market to the US until much later !!

Both the pedals and HH are in the museum photo above,...and the 35 snare lugs speak for themselves !! I only recectly read about WFL living in Germany and now some things that used to mystify me don`t anymore, cuz who knows how many times these guys met and talked !!

It`s a drum,.....Hit It !!

.....76/#XK9207 Phonic Sound Machine D454/D-505 snares !i
Posted on 12 years ago

That's great, thanks for you help!

Posted on 12 years ago

From OddBall

Sonor had the first BD pedals, both single and double , also the first HH, but interestingly enough,...WFL, I believe,...live about thirty miles from the Sonor factory and both Link and Ludwig would give a handshake or nod when it came to inovations and copying each other. For instance, the 1935 Sonor snares had excact same lugs as the Ludwig Classic. So my input would be that of the BIG TWO,...in the early days,..they seem to acknowladge each other before marketing new designs. Probably because Sonor didn`t open their market to the US until much later !! Both the pedals and HH are in the museum photo above,...and the 35 snare lugs speak for themselves !! I only recectly read about WFL living in Germany and now some things that used to mystify me don`t anymore, cuz who knows how many times these guys met and talked !!

I saw a wood snare about a week ago with What I thought were Ludwig imperial metal snare lugs(relieved in the middle to accomidate for the center bead),but they turned out to be Sonor.I would have bet the ranch.....I guess you do learn something new every day.

Steve B

Posted on 12 years ago
Action Another action Something else here