Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Early 90's Tama Rockstar Question

I have a question for all of you Tama experts. In 1992 I purchased a used Tama Rockstar set. It is the style with the one piece square angled lugs on all of the toms and bass drums. The tags all say "Rockstar". In looking at the 1990 Tama catalog I see that both the Rockstar DX and Pro series have this style of lug. I do not see a model series that was designated as just "Rockstar" with this single piece lug design. In the 1990 catalog the Rockstar (only) line drums have double lugs, an entirely different style.

So my question is shouldn't the badges on this set say Rockstar DX or Rockstar Pro? Or, was Tama not distinguishing the DX/Pro lines on the badges in the early 90"s?

I'm getting ready to sell them and want to correctly identify them!

Posted on 7 years ago

Are they painted/lacquered, or wrapped? If they're painted, they're Rockstar Pro, if wrapped, DX. I don't think they had any other identifying logos. Also, the Pro bass drums had 10 lugs and matching wood hoops.

Posted on 7 years ago

Thanks for your reply 8upwithit. That's an interesting question because for years I thought they were wrapped in a very dark midnight blue sparkle. However I removed the leg clamp hardware from one of the floor toms and the wrap was not a wrap at all it was paint! Under the paint and the hardware is what I believe is a white wrap, which I think is the snow white? I need to count the number of lugs on the bass drums (doubles) however I can tell you that the bass drum hoops are metal.

Posted on 7 years ago

The DX series had metal hoops on the bass drums. One interesting thing about the Pro series was that even the 20" bass drums had 10 (double) lugs.

Posted on 7 years ago

Have you got a pic you can show?

There were several different Rockstar versions from 88-94

Posted on 7 years ago

I tried to post some pics as I know that would be most helpful but was technically challenged and gave up!

Posted on 7 years ago

From mduke51

I tried to post some pics as I know that would be most helpful but was technically challenged and gave up!

Just hit the button that says attach files, select the file then hit upload

Posted on 7 years ago

Finally had the time to figure out the upload process. Here are a few pics of what I am now thinking is a Rockstar DX set, based on the comments from the previous posts.

3 attachments
Posted on 6 years ago

Those are definitely Rockstar DX. Looking closely at the close-up of the badge, you can tell that the wrap was painted over.

Posted on 6 years ago

Thank you for your help 8upwithit!

Posted on 6 years ago
Action Another action Something else here