Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.46138%

Early 80s Ludwig refurbish questions.

So I've finally started the refurbished of the big Ludwigs. I was originally led to believe they were from 1966 but Doing more research I've determined that they are most likely early 80s Chicago built with the keystone badges. (Pics on another post)Really more of a re head and deep cleaning/ polishing more than anything. I've got a few questions for y'all. The wrap has peeled back slightly on the edge of the seams, I see this is fairly common, what's the best fix for this? Heat and a good glue would be my best guess. Another question. My kick drum is equipped with the curved spurs that retract into the drum when nor in use. I have mounts for these spurs on the front and rear of the drum but only 2 spurs. Should I use 4 or was it just an option to move the spurs for player preference? Thanks for any help!

Posted on 7 years ago

A careful use of a heat gun on low to loosen the seam and then reglue is your best bet to

tighten the wrap down.. I wouldn't use wood glue.. I would use a strong adhesive, as wood glue won't really

keep the plastic of the wrap secured to the shell.. As far as the double bass drum spurs, that was probably just a little experiment Ludwig did so drummers could stabilize and center the bass drum for both stability of the drum, and a more precise mallet strike, just like one would use a bass drum lift on smaller kick drums..You can search for a set of matching spurs to make it original,

but it obviously works fine without them. Hope this helps !

cheers,

Rob

Posted on 7 years ago

Im going to give it a shot tonight. I plan to use a heavy glue I have from Kimball midwest and A section of 1''X1'' pine to lay across the seam and clamp in place after i slightly heat it with a heat gun. Fingers crossed, Ill let you know how it turns out.

Posted on 7 years ago

I use super glue on my seams. Clean out the seam a little, put in the glue and clamp over night. Be sure to tape off both sides of the seam in case glue squeezes out when you clamp it.

Posted on 7 years ago
Action Another action Something else here