Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.06054%

Early 70s Rogers Blue Onyx

Greetings. My first post. Thanks for an excellent forum, I've learned a ton.

I just pulled my nephew's drums out of storage . I took him shopping 20 years ago and found him a used 3 piece Rogers in Blue Onyx Pearl with a Powertone snare and Rogers Hi Hat. Excellent condition. He played for a few years then the drums went in his closet, then spent a decade in a warehouse. They are still in excellent condition and I'm cleaning them up to start playing some jobs. No intention of selling them.

From reading the forum it appears to be an early Fullerton era set labled 60-5322 9/72, last of the classic swivomatics, along with an earlier Cleveland era Powertone snare.

14x22 BD, single tom mount w/cymbal bracket with "L" holder. Ser.# B06267 (1974).

9x13 Tom, Ser.# B23033 (1974)

16x16 floor tom, Ser.# A8023 (1973)

5x14 Powertone, Cleveland label Ser.# 5676 (1964?)

Hi-Hat.... no idea

The bass drum pedal is a Premier, but it looks like a Camco knock-off.

Here are my newbe questions. Does anyone know what the kit was called? What the hiHat is? Where I can find a Rogers 22" front head (it came that way 20 years ago, I didn't do it)? It actually might look good with a black front. Suggestions on other heads? The toms and bass are currently wearing 20 year-old pin stripes with clear ambassadors on the bottom of the toms. I'll ask about value in the other forum section.

When I get it all cleaned up I'll post in the gallery.

Thanks again for a great forum.

- Radar

1972 Sonor Swinger

1973/74 Rogers Something

4 attachments
1972 Sonor Custom (Swinger)
1973-74 Rogers Starlighter IV Blue Onyx
1982 Slingerland TDR-Lite Marching Snare White Gloss Pearl
Posted on 14 years ago

Rogers manufactured a "Starlighter IV" kit from 1973 through 1977 which consisted of a 9x13 rack tom, 16x16 floor tom and 14x22 bass drum.''

The kit originally came with Swiv-O-Matic hardware. In 1976 Memriloc hardware replaced the Swiv-O-Matic hardware on this kit.

Your hi-hat stand appears to be a Rogers Swiv-O-Matic 4401, which was produced from 1962 through 1973.

As far as the Rogers bass drum head, they come up on e-Bay quite often. Unfortunately, they're sometimes a bit pricey. If you choose, you could also consider picking up a smooth white head (brand of your choice) and get the vintage Rogers Logo to stick on it from Bentley's Drum Shop in California. I've never liked the black heads, but that's simply a personal choice.

GREAT LOOKING KIT, by the way!

Posted on 14 years ago

That's a really cool kit! Best of luck with it. I like it.

Glenn.

Not a guru just havin fun with some old dusty drums.
Posted on 14 years ago

Hmmmm, a drummer named. Radar...where have I heard that before?

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 14 years ago

Thanks for the quick reply Oldschool. Would the kit hve been sold with an older Powertone and the 4401 Hi-Hat?

I may have to modify my username, never was much of a MASH fan.

Posted on 14 years ago

[COLOR="Blue"]You can buy repro decals of the Rogers logos on eFlay...or ou can ante up the $ and actually try to find an old original head...people sell 'em now and again.

Indeedy...a fine kit !!!!![/COLOR]

www.2ndending.com
Posted on 14 years ago

Gorgeous set! There's something about a Rogers kit in onyx. To me, onyx is to Rogers as Oyster is to Ludwig.

A black head would look pretty with the onyx finish... but then again, a vintage kit just looks right with a vintage head on the bass drum. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to get a white head and a Rogers logo sticker. (You can find them at www.drumbuilder.com, amongst other places.) That's what I did with my Gretsch kit, and from more than 6" away you can't tell it's a sticker.

If you can't find a plain white head, I've heard that there's a household chemical you can use to easily remove the Remo logo from a smooth head before you stick the new logo on. I can't remember what the chemical was -- Goo Gone? Nailpolish remover? Someone posted it elsewhere on the forum, so a quick search should turn it up if need be.

Enjoy those drums!

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago

I found my way to the catalog pages on vintagedrumguide.com, boy do those '71 Slingerland and Camco catalogs bring back memories. I remember in 1979, riding my bike to the Slingerland factory on Milwaukee Ave. in Niles, IL and asking if I coud buy a pair of 2S Densewood sticks for marching band, because no local store carried them. The receptionist just gave them to me. It was a sad day when the Slingerland name came off that building.

Anyway, looking at the catalogs, from the placement of the set screw on the legs (120 degrees to the right of the pedal), it appears the hi-hat is a 48-0510, circa 1970.

Posted on 14 years ago

Beautiful drums!!!..and if and when you decide to sell,you need go no further than this forumWalking

Hit like you mean it!!
Posted on 14 years ago

I found that earlier post on removing the Remo logo from a smooth white head. It was nailpolish remover that the poster used.

Also: I see there are a couple of 1970s 22" Rogers heads on eBay right now. They say "R-360" on them as well, so you might want to take the polish remover to that bit of writing... :)

Kits:
1950s Gretsch Name Band in Midnight Blue Pearl (13/16/22/14sn)
1965/66 Ludwig Club Dates rewrapped in Black Diamond Pearl (12/15/20)
Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here