Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Early 60s Ludwig Kick in a dumpster!

Hello! As per the thread title, I recently found an early 60s (correct me if I’m wrong-Has a keystone w/ no serial#) Luddy kick drum in a dumpster. Very cool find and it’s gotten me ready for another restoration project. It looks like someone has drilled in a pearl tom mount, some Pearl legs, and painted the once beautiful wrap. It looks like maybe it was a light blue marine pearl or something similar.

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Can I use Goof Off or paint thinner to remove the paint from the keystone badge? Suggestions for this are welcome :)

2. In one of the pics attached, I’ve marked where I believe the original holes for the Tom mount and cymbal mount are. Can someone confirm this? Looks like 3 for the Tom mount and one for the cymbal.

-Thanks everyone!

Posted on 2 years ago

Oh, it's had a Pearl Pipe Massacre done to it at some point. It looks like it's got a maple interior. Does it have a varnish on it or is it just raw wood? Raw wood would indicate early 60s and a varnished interior would indicate '68 -'69 right before they switched over to the blue olive badge. The latter would have serial numbers but it's possible your badge has serial numbers but you can't see them because they are filled in with paint.

Looks like it has a Sky Blue Pearl wrap under that paint. Too bad it's not all there.

You can try goof off or any paint remover you want as long as it doesn't attack brass. If you are going to do it while still attached to the drum, just try not to get it on the painted wrap. That could turn into a real mess. I would pull the badge and then strip it.

Your four small screws are for the original rail mount. The fourth one is next to one of the Pearl mount holes. The large hole could be for a shell through cymbal mount, although those weren't used on the classic drums. Only on the Club Dates, but someone could certainly had ordered one or had one installed at some point.

Nice find

Posted on 2 years ago

Awesome thanks a lot!

Inside is raw wood and there aren’t any serial numbers on the badge. So 61’-63’ ish?

And thanks for clearing up the original holes-I see what you mean now. I intend to try my best at filling the others.

Posted on 2 years ago

I can't tell by the pics if that one hole is a disappearing cymbal mount or not. Some of the early pre serial classic bass drums did use those. My pre serial New Yorker 12x22 has one. And like Thin Shell mentioned, mine is raw unvarnished maple interior.

Mike

Posted on 2 years ago

Gotcha. I might just fill what may or may not be the cymbal mount hole.

As far as the 4 holes for the Tom mount-What kind of mount am I looking for here?

EDIT: Never-mind! Rail mount, correct?

Posted on 2 years ago

I’d also like to ask, which spurs did this drum come with?

When I found it, it had Pearl legs which I assume extra holes had to be drilled for. Can anyone tell me which of the three holes are original? Pic below.

Posted on 2 years ago
Action Another action Something else here