Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.25470%

Early 60's Ludwig Jazz Festival Snare

Anyone know why the bottom bearing edge of this drum appears to be dish shaped, what I mean is it wont sit flat of a level surface. When looking at the beveled edged, the sides perpindicular to the strainer are higher then the strainer edges by about 1/4". At first I thought the bottom hoop was really warped but upon close inspection its the wood bearinf edge that was milled this way.

Posted on 17 years ago

That's done on purpose. Those "milled-out" portions are called "snare beds" and they are there to allow the snare wires to be pulled evenly across the bottom head when the strainer is engaged.

Snare beds are present on most all snare drums...one exception to that is the Rogers Dynasonic snare drum -which relies on a separate frame where the wires are pre-tensioned.

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago

Im sure my other snare seems to sit flat. So I guess its normal for the bottom edge of the shell to be dish shaped. If I measure the depth of the shell, the shell is about 5" deep on the sides perpendicular to the stainer and is less than 5" at the strainer.

Posted on 17 years ago

I don't know what your other drum is, but most all snare drums (99.999%) have snare beds of one shape or another. Some beds are longer and shallower and some are short and abrupt, but nearly all snare drums have milled snare beds

"God is dead." -Nietzsche

"Nietzsche is dead." -God
Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here