Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 129.86221%

Early 60's Gretsch Problem - AAARGH

I recently made a trade for a Round Badge 5-pc kit without seeing it in person, and though I'm very happy with the trade, now that the kit has showed up in the mail I find that it really won't take modern heads. I'd always heard about people having trouble with this but of the handful of Gretsch kits I've owned and worked on it's never been more than a minor annoyance. With this kit it's a big problem. They're a rewrap, tangerine sparkle, and the wrap was even trimmed nicely around where the head collars sit, and they still will only accept American Vintage heads, and then only very grudgingly. You can't tune them down, it's up and up only. Not cool.

They're 6-ply but they don't have paper tags on the insides, which I suppose makes them like 1960-62. All five drums are like this. There are some other minor issues, extra holes in the kick drum in particular, which I'm used to dealing with.

I'm obsessed with refurbishing RB stuff right now, but my restoring ethos is old school and doesn't allow for trimmed wrap, let alone unusable shell diameters. I was hoping to keep these and gig them. I can't do it.

So, I'm looking for absolution from you gents. This thing will become an albatross if I try to restore it. Can I take some parts I can use off this kit and then part the rest out? Can I be that guy?

2 attachments
60's Gretsch Progressive Jazz Green Sparkle
'61 Slingerland Bop Kit Sea Green Rewrap
Round Badge Bop Kit Clone Red Sparkle
'67 Pearl President 13/16/22 Red Oyster Pearl
Posted on 9 years ago

Calf heads?

Posted on 9 years ago

If not the Aquarian American Vintage heads, try the Evans Level 360 series. They should both fit, especially with the trimmed wrap.

[ame]http://youtu.be/MRXiiFSoziI[/ame]

Posted on 9 years ago

The kit came with American Vintage heads, but they're too tight to tune unfortunately. Are the Level 360 heads even larger?

Posted on 9 years ago

Did you try splitting the aluminum ring of the head? I've done that and it works and the head is tunable.

Posted on 9 years ago

From infiniteninjas

So, I'm looking for absolution from you gents. This thing will become an albatross if I try to restore it. Can I take some parts I can use off this kit and then part the rest out? Can I be that guy?

No heavy hitter here but I'd say yes. It's just a re-wrap, why battle with something as basic as the shells? You want room to tune, not restrictions. Grab some parts, make some cash, and find a calf head dude for the shells :)

Mitch

Posted on 9 years ago

From DownTownFarmer

No heavy hitter here but I'd say yes. It's just a re-wrap, why battle with something as basic as the shells? You want room to tune, not restrictions. Grab some parts, make some cash, and find a calf head dude for the shells :)Mitch

I've decided to ditch the shells one way or another. They're really not my style in any way shape or form.

So, I may part the kit out eventually, but in the meantime I might look for a set of shells that will fit modern heads since I have a full set of very expensive hardware! And I've never been afraid of doing a rewrap.

Anyone have 20, 12 or 16 inch round badge shells for sale?

Posted on 9 years ago

You know, for as many people who have this problem with oversize vintage drums you would think one of the multi-million dollar big-three drum head companies would tackle this issue once and for all, despite the obvious lack of a multi-million dollar return. How long would it take to devise a thinner but equally strong hoop? Or offset the head material to the outside of the hoop?

Posted on 9 years ago

Remo will make heads any diameter.

Cobalt Blue Yamaha Recording Custom 20b-22b-8-10-12-13-15-16f-18f
Red Ripple '70's Yamaha D-20 20b-12-14f
Piano Black Yamaha Recording Custom Be-Bop kit 18b-10-14f
Snares:
Yamaha COS SDM5; Yamaha Cobalt Blue RC 5-1/2x14; Gretsch round badge WMP; 1972 Ludwig Acrolite; 1978 Ludwig Super Sensitive; Cobalt Blue one-off Montineri; Yamaha Musashi 6.5X13 Oak; cheap 3.5X13 brass piccolo
Posted on 9 years ago

From teverson-sr

You know, for as many people who have this problem with oversize vintage drums you would think one of the multi-million dollar big-three drum head companies would tackle this issue once and for all, despite the obvious lack of a multi-million dollar return. How long would it take to devise a thinner but equally strong hoop? Or offset the head material to the outside of the hoop?

Yes! I've had this exact thought many times. Make em out of steel instead of aluminum or something. Charge a few bucks more. I'm sure it's possible.

I do know that you can special order heads from Remo in any size at all. But for a workhorse drum set that I gig with, that's not at all worth it to me. Plus, that's a lot of added expense for a full set of new heads, even if they're the same price as standard sizes. I keep a stack of like 80 used heads around and never ever buy new ones, I hate how much they cost.

Posted on 9 years ago
Action Another action Something else here