Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Early 1920's ludwig snare

Hi,

I picked up this 5x15, 8 lug, ludwig snare (pictures attached). From what I can gather, it's from the early 1920's. If it's really 80+ years old it's in great shape. Looks like a single ply with huge re-rings. There is no date stamp on the shell. I haven't seen a snare like this before - but I haven't been looking that long. Any idea what it's worth? Is this really from the 20's?

Thanks,

Bob

5 attachments
Posted on 17 years ago

Yes, that's a mid '20s Ludwig and Ludwig. THe shell is solid a maple. Most likely that's a re-finish...it was probably originally a blue and silver or white lacquer finish...it may have been wrapped. The throw-off is original, and I don't see any mods or extra holes. Those drums make great players...all the modern custom type shops are replicating those early tube lug drums. If it was a 14" and had the original finish, it would be worth $600-1000. Take off 20% for it being a 15" and a couple hundred for the re-finish...so figure it's $250-500 drum. Very nice piece.

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the reply.

I can't tell if it's been refinished. If it was, they did a great job (or did it a long time ago). I wonder what it would look like with a whitewash. Would I be better off trying to replicate the original finish? Or throwing some briwax on it and giving it a little shine?

Posted on 17 years ago

If you like the way it looks (I do), I'd just leave the finish as is...wax it or clean it. Original finishes of the time would have been a dark, mahogany, black lacquer, white lacquer or two tone lacquers...blue / silver was the most common. If you leave it alone, you can't mess it up!

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here