Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 125.85386%

Ear protection?

Tried to search but didn't find anything. What do you use or what have you seen that works well. Most of the damage has already been done I suppose, but I am now getting back into drumming and have been wearing those foam plugs you roll up and let expand in you ear. Links to threads or comments please.

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

We did discuss this at one point.. I'm all for full ear coverage with a set of head phones, preferable the noise reducing version. Vic Firth has a nice set that I have used in the past. They can be expensive.

There are ear plugs for every situation and noise level. I do not like the foam type.

David

Posted on 15 years ago

After years of playing in larger groups almost always comprised of FULL horn sections... I had noticed that I had lost a goodly amount of high end frequency in both ears, but primarily the left as that is the snare/HH side. After yet another evaluation/test by a licensed audiologist... ( which for the record ALL working drummers should do!, and at least every two years ) ... it was determined that some ear protection would be the route to go. So...

I was fitted for "Custom Ear Molds" which are made exclusively for YOU, meaning that an impression is taken and the device is custom made to fit YOUR ears. These have fully functioning diaphrams which open and close as the situation warrents. I chose a MAXIMUM of 12db at the high end which allows me to HEAR normally with them in, for the most part anyway... but ... when the sound pressure starts to climb, the diaphrams close and I have an added 12db of protection. These are GREAT for gigs... ( where needed ) ... concerts!... power equipment... tuning out the wife!... HA!!!!... and well, you get the idea. The beauty of these are that you can't really SEE THEM, as they are custom made to fit INSIDE the ear canal. Worth a look I would say... at least if you are really SERIOUS about one of the BEST ways to go... and ... completely transportable in a little pouch without the bulk or unsightlyness of headphones... well at least from a performance POV anyway.

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

A cheap option I found useful, as I just can't get those foam things to stay in me ears, are the earplugs by companies such as Zoggs, designed for swimmers. They're like a blue putty that you can mould to your ear. My pack had 3 pairs for about £4.00

Tama Superstar, 22, 22, 16, 14, 13 Desert Burst
Premier Genista, 22, 16, 13, 12 Black Lacquer
Premier Genista, 20, 14, 10 and snare Black Lacquer
Premier Resonator 22, 16, 14, 13 poly creme/black
Zickos 22, 16, 14, 13, clear acrylic and snare
Posted on 15 years ago

The Vic Firth ear muffs come in both head phone and non-head phone versions. I absolutely love these things because the attenuation is evenly done so that all the frequencies still come through. Your vintage cymbals still sound like vintage cymbals and your snare still rings. You can tell they were designed by musicians and do not attempt to cut out certain frequencies like industrial headsets. Yeah, it's not gonna be perfect but it is the next best thing to real hearing IMHO. Worth every penny. (and no, I do not work for Vic Firth :) )

Posted on 15 years ago

All these commercial hearing protector products are FINE!... but ... they pale when compared to a custom system that is made expressly for... YOU. The thing with the custom ear molds is: They aren't a "one size fits all" type product which is what the commercially available pieces are... and I am not implying that there is anything wrong with those at all... I'm just saying that the BEST way you can go, is with something made specifically for YOUR ears. Have you taken note...

... of the fact that "in ear monitors" are what most all performers are using now. The theory is essentially the same: Custom made to fit YOUR EARS. The Vic Firth products are NICE!... but I would much rather have a system/product that isn't going to be bulky, and is almost completely invisible. Again, from a PERFORMANCE point of view. For practice, the headphones are great, and will certainly fit the bill... but I wouldn't want to gig with them.

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

You make some excellent points Tommy and yes, the VF phones are not for gigging. At least 75% of my playing time is practice and that's where I like them.

Posted on 15 years ago

Thanks for the input. Thats what I am enjoying about this forum: strong sensible opinions in different directions. Can't talk now, I'm off to the see the audiologist! Walking

1968 Slingerland Red Sparkle
Posted on 15 years ago

I have to agree with Tommy, I have had a pair for years and they work great. The only thing is they tend to get a little uncomfortable after long periods of use. Maybe I am due for a new pair. My friend , who is also my audiologist, was telling me about a new type . He made a pair for his wife, they are like the small earphones for listening to Ipods and such. I think that is what damaged my hearing the most, practicing with those cheap earphones with the volume up real high.

Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here