Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.25678%

Eames Drums Question

Eames drums were purchased from the George L. Stone company in 1950. They are gorgeous and extemely high quality drums. Is there a demand for them in the vintage market? I also wonder why I rarely come across any made before the 1980's.

comments?

Posted on 16 years ago

Ralph Eames purchased the company in 1950 and mostly made hybrid screwball drums. In the old days he would just put together frankenstein drums to make something work. In the 1970's he hired a teenage Joe Macsweeny to help in the shop. Joe learned how to build drums and eventually bought the company from Ralph. Joe made most of his drums in the late 70's early 80's so this is why you don't see any older ones.

Joe also refinished a Radio King set for Buddy Rich and Buddy used in the last years of his life. Buddy actually wanted to move up to a 28" bass drum and Joe made it for him. Buddy actually died just as Joe was about to ship it. Joe still has the drum in the shop.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago

well that settles that....are there any Eames drums that are prized or collectable?

m

Posted on 16 years ago

A bud of mine plays a natural finished Eames kit. They look and sound great and if I remember correctly, they use the exact same lugs as my 80's stencil kit (Cortley made by Pearl).

Nothing wrong with those lugs, but is that normal for Eames?

Vintage Snares Vintage Kits
Posted on 16 years ago

Joe will put on what ever lugs you want to give him. I think he will use anything. The shells are still made on an old wheel dating back to the turn of the century. Pretty cool. One of my friends had Joe make him a custom cocktail set and it was featured in an MD kit of the month once.

"wfl does not stand for world football league!"
Posted on 16 years ago
Action Another action Something else here