Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

dynasonic woes

I had a frantic moment the other night. I was playing a show and was in the middle of a number counting rests with the snares off. When I went to put on the snare the knob popped off in my hand. While playing I tried to screw it back on and then realized it doesn't screw on- it a compression fitting. The design is flawed. So I played with a tenor drum until the intermission and then went backstage to find a c-clamp. It barely held for the second act and I have since retired the drum until I can get it fixed.

The drum sounds great- it is a 70's Rogers Dynasonic with a clockface strainer. The knob should be screwed or welded on to the shaft because it takes all the pressure when you throw on the snare. So now I have to find somebody to weld it, or??

Meanwhile I am playing with the ol' Acro and I think I am going to be looking for a Supra...

Posted on 19 years ago

bongofury -

The same thing happend to me w/my 1973 dynasonic -

did you manage to get the knob welded on the top?

Also, why is there a spring between the knob and the small hex nut at the top of the threaded post?

Thanks!

DJ

Posted on 18 years ago

Bongo...

This is a moderately common problem with the LATER Dynasonics. Having owned/played many... ( and I still do! )... although mine are ALL PRE 1967, my suggestion is to surf eBay and buy another COS 5 line from the 70's. I haven't ever suffered this failure on any of mine though. By the way, that's not a Clockface strainer on yours... ( unless you did a retro-fit )... it's a Swiv-o-Matic strainer. The Swivo strainer can be had from time to time on eBay as well, but usually go just as high as replacing the entire drum! Just be careful to get the Dynasonic strainer... Look for the little "D" just below the adjustment knob. So,

If you buy another Dynasonic... ( bargains can be had! )... you now have a "parts drum", if you will.

If you get it welded, you have to find a guy that can do a NEAT, PRECISE, job, and not build up an extensive amount of heat. That's why my suggestion is to buy another Dynasonic and use it for parts.

Hope this helps!

Tommyp

Posted on 18 years ago
Action Another action Something else here