Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 128.86013%

Dynasonic vs LM402 supra

I don't mean to limit it to these two, but I read and hear so much about the LM402 14x6.5 as "the most recorded snare drum..."etc. Not denying Luddies excellence, does the Rogers dynasonic, Gretsch COB (or other chrome over brass) match or beat the much ballyhooed and beloved LM402?

Posted on 14 years ago

I'm not allowed to respond...school project and all.

...but, I will say that it was the shallower model that was used so prolifically during the 60's and 70's.

Posted on 14 years ago

From mcjnic

I'm not allowed to respond...school project and all....but, I will say that it was the shallower model that was used so prolifically during the 60's and 70's.

Yaassur, the 400, not the 402.

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

Also to the subject, the (2) models from ludwig alone are the model 400 and model 402 available in brass and ludalloy,and available in crimped shell or acoustic perfect shell, Jump For Joy

Your drummers not much good is he!? What you need is someone that's as good as me. ! John Henry Bonham !!
Posted on 14 years ago

And as far as the "What's the better snare" thing.... it has been batted around here so much that...........

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

From kevins

And as far as the "What's the better snare" thing.... it has been batted around here so much that...........

no...now I am in suspense because you didn't finish...

I can imagine that is true. I am always looking for a nice brass snare that doesn't cost $500+. I was trying to convince myself that the 402 was or was not worth it based on other available snares. Maybe it's just soo good that everything else is an also-ran.

I tried a Pork Pie brass patina 13x7 that was phenominal for about 3 bills. I want to try a Pearl sensitone brass as well. Ahead makes some monsterous sounding brass as well.

Posted on 14 years ago

These two links may help you as far as brass shelled Ludwigs go.

They sure did help me.

LINK....................

LINK..................

Kevin
Posted on 14 years ago

In my opinion both the Dynasonic and the Supraphonic are excellent drums. Different animals, to be sure, but both excellent. I could be happy in most situations with either one.

Some people don't give them much thought but there are other brass-shelled snare drums to consider...they're fairly common (well, one is anyway) and can sometimes be had for about $100 or less in decent condition. They may not be as famous as Ludwig's brass model but Slingerland's Krupa/Sound King is a very under-rated drum. The Gretsch brass snare is also very nice, but will likely run a little more than the Slingerland.

Jeff

Posted on 14 years ago

Pearl's Jupiter snare was also another under-rated brass snare.....and you can usually find them for reasonable coin. If you're wondering about how they sound....listen to ANY Police recording. Stewart used them religiously....

BTW, sounding "better" than another is a subjective thing. Only your ears can decide what you like best. with that said, I still prefer my spraphonic to most....its my go to snare.

Posted on 14 years ago

I don't buy into that whole comparison thing as it is entirely subjective. However, if you are looking for a great brass snare for under $500, find yourself a nice Cleveland era chrome over brass Powertone. Great sounding drum with plenty of body. If you want even more body, be patient and pick up a 6.5 cob Powertone. They are one of my favorite snares.

[IMG]http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll197/Luxor65/PT1-2.jpg[/IMG]

Posted on 14 years ago
Action Another action Something else here