Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 126.05428%

Dynasonic Snare Drum

I recently bought a Rogers Dynasonic 5 x 14 snare drum with all original parts. Paid 153.00 for it, did I get my moneys worth? Also I'm curious, how does the tension knob that is attached to the snare exactly work. The drum is a Big R with a D in the beginning of the serial number. It is in very good shape and the chrome is not that pitted at all.

Thanks in Advance

Help

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

backbeatkeeper...

That is an excellent price for a Rogers COB Dynasonic, even for the "Big R" badged model, as those were the last ones, and they are pretty common. Rogers started with the "Big R" badge in 1976. The "Big R" Dynasonics don't usually sell that high anyway, but $153.00 is very good!

Regarding the "Tension Adjustment Screw": THIS is what determines the PRE-TENSION of the snares themselves when they are mounted on the snare frame. The TAS should be finger tightened ONLY, and only as much as it takes to get almost a "guitar string" like sound quality from the snares when they are strummed. It is easier to do if the snare frame is off the drum... but it can also be done by lowering the snares off the bottom head with the throw-off as well... then strum the snares. Listen for a nice "tone"... almost a musical tone if you will. Not BUZZY or RASPY. Tighter or looser tension is a personal thing, although there are other variables. You might want to have a look at this little tutorial I wrote for this very site on "Setting up a Rogers Dynasonic". Here's the link: http://www.vintagesnaredrums.com/rogers_dynasonic_set_up2.html

Set up correctly with regard to heads/snare tension, Dynasonics are incredibly sensitive/articulate snare drums. EVERY nuance of your playing is as crisp as a cool head of fresh lettuce. I gig 100% of the time on my '67 WMP Dynasonic covering all styles of music. It never lets me down! ENJOY your drum!

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Thanks for the words of wisdom Tommyp. I noticed that the snare was loose and after I took the drum apart and polished it, notices that it needs to be replaced. Also I don't think it's COB, after pulling all the lugs off, a magnet has a little attraction to the shell. I do appreciate your help, today I'm off to get some new heads and snare for it. I'm thinking I might try a nice Fiberskyn for the batter.....

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 17 years ago

Hey Backbeatkeeper

From what ive heard DO NOT GET A FIBERSKYN!

They sound terrible in my opinion and some other drummers I know. They are fine as a resonant but the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads are a lot better. I hope you see this post in time..

Cheers

Harrison

Harrison
Posted on 17 years ago

backbeatkeeper/Harrison...

A couple comments:

Regarding head choice: This is an area that I personally stay out of... simple reason is that this is SO PERSONAL/SUBJECTIVE. A Remo Fiberskyn will sound like total CRAP to one person, but be just the ticket for another! This is one area where drums are so neat... their sound is "customized" by head choice/tension to each individual player, regardless of what anyone else thinks. Of course, INPUT from different guys is always appreciated!, but the final choice/decision is that of the owner/player of the drum.

Regarding the magnet test: Your Dynasonic is COB... The STEEL "Big R" Dynasonics were the cheap, crappy, Island Music imports. These are EASY to spot as all you have to do is LOOK at the badge. The "Big R" is present, but there is no serial number or Made in USA on them. So,

I have a 1964 Rogers COB 7 line, near MINT!, and if I put a magnet to the shell... it "grabs" just a bit. What's interesting about this is we all KNOW that these shells... ( the 7 liners ) ... are all brass! Don't be deceived by the magnet sticking a tad. Take your magnet and put it on something you KNOW is steel... the amount of stick/pull is quite a bit more. A lot more than on your shell... at least it should be! :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommyp,

You are quite right, there is a definite difference between the shell pull and the rim pull. It does have a serial number (D751295) and it shines like the sun. The only problem is that someone dropped it on the lever side of the snare and dented the shell. No problem here, I had a small rubber mallet and soft rug and gently shaped back. There is still a little dent, but very hard to notice from the outside. As far as the batter heads go, I couldn't be in more agreement with you. I had a Fiberskyn on my old Ludwig (80's) supraphonic and it was the greatest. My personal sound of snare that I like is best found on the "Scarecrow" album by John Mellencamp (Kenny Aranoff on drums) That is the sound I absolutely love to hear!! A crack and some brightness.

I will Post a picture when I get the drum put back together

Posted on 17 years ago

backbeatkeeper!

I have to tell you this as it is very interesting... and common!

Regarding the dent behind the throw-off: A LOT of times, and with a LOT of COB Dynasonics, there is ALWAYS a dent right behind the throw. The main reason? Most guys didn't know HOW or wouldn't take the TIME to properly set up a Dynasonic snare drum... thus, they couldn't get them to sound good at all. Nothing worked. So the only thing to do was to keep CRANKIN' the snare tension on the throw hoping to get a "semblance" of what is supposed to sound like a snare drum, at least to their ears! The result?

The soft brass shell would actually buckle from OVER TENSIONING, and right where the throw is mounted to the shell... every time. Now,

Yours could certainly have been dropped... but I tend doubt it. I have seen way TOO MANY COB Dynasonics dented in the same area, yet the rest of the shell is near flawless. The reason is almost always from over tensioning the snares AT the throw-off. So,

You want the snare frame to be easily moved from side to side... ( within reason of course! ) ... with the throw ENGAGED. If that snare frame can't breathe so to speak, it's tensioned/pulled up too tightly... which by the way just CHOKES the drum anyway! Which is kind of funny because THAT is the sound that most of those guys thought they wanted out of the drum! But that isn't where the Dynasonic was designed to function. It is an ARTICULATE and SENSITIVE drum. Doesn't mean you can't play Rock & Roll or Funk on it either!... it just has to be set up correctly. :-)

Tommyp

PS: I always LOVED Kenny Aranoff's snare drum sound on Scarecrow! I saw that tour LIVE and Mellencamp played like the entire Scarecrow album! It was fabulous... as was Aranoff. I remember it well!

Posted on 17 years ago

Tommyp,

I don't know where you live, but if we should ever meet in person, I would like to buy you a beer or beverage of you choice. You are not only knowledgeble in the matters of the Dynasonic, but obviously you have good taste in music!! I will post a picture of the drum when I finish putting it back together, hopefully by tonight. I found a replacement snare Drummaker, but I will go to my local Guitar Center to see if they have a similar one. Is there any that you may recommend personally? Let me know if you get the chance.

backbeatkeeper

Keep on Pl

Posted on 17 years ago

Your COB Big R Dynasonic is approximately a 1977-78. My 1977 is in the 71xxx range. It was purchased new in Nov. 1977. I have the original sales receipt, I got it, when I bought the drums in Nov. 1979 from the original purchaser.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 17 years ago

backbeatkeeper/The Ploughman...

backbeatkeeper: THANK YOU for the very nice comments... and the offer of some liquid refreshment! :-) Is there really any BETTER fraternity than drummers??!! I think not! Actually, I live on the east coast... but I could be persuaded to head on out to CA when I tire of the cold/winter... which will take all of a min.! :-) Anyway,

If you mean replacement snares for the Dynasonic... as you have found, there are a few out there that will fit. I am very fortunate in that all four of my Dynasonics have Rogers OEM snares, and they are all in excellent shape/sound. But!... I donated some of my drums to the PureSound Company to use in picture set-up shots of their snares... ( through our most excellent webmaster! ) ... and as a THANK YOU I was given some complimentary PureSound wires. I tried them on my '65 COB 7 line Dynasonic and thought they sounded nice, albeit, a tad "darker" then the Rogers OEM's... but still very good. They are a fine replacement... but as you would figure, not cheap, as in cost! But you figure you will only replace them ONCE! On occasion you can find Rogers OEM wires on eBay, but they also seem to go high. Pictures of your drum will be excellent... post when you got 'em!

Ploughman: Your Rogers "Big R" sounds like a MINT BEAUTY... especially because you are only the 2nd purchaser/owner! I really have no record/reference on Dynasonics past 1973, so it's GREAT that you have that drum to dial in the year on some of these "newer" Dynasonics. :-)

Tommyp

Posted on 17 years ago
Action Another action Something else here