Only Admins can see this message.
Data Transition still in progress. Some functionality may be limited until the process is complete.
Processing Attachment, Gallery - 127.65762%

Dynasonic questions

OK, got a 5 line Big R Dynasonic (serial # D 955124) off EBAY for $125 and have lots of questions about it and an older 7 line Script Dynasonic (serial # 2322) shell I bought a few years ago. The Big R has straighter lugs (Beavertail?) while the older Script shell has curved lugs (B&Bs?). I'm still not sure how to tell them apart.

1. The Big R does not have springs inside the lugs but the Script does - is that normal?

2. Both are bent in slightly behind the throw - I assume I need to "bang" them both out to round, and if so, what's the best way?

3. How can I tell if the hoops and tensions rods are original and does it really matter?

4. The throw appears loose - is there a way to tighten it or does the tension pressure from the snares/bridge do that? Is it easy to take it apart?

5. Is there an easy way to remove the muffler?

Since the older Script snare appears in better shape, I plan to use the throw, t-rods and muffler from the Big R - good idea or not?

Thanks

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 15 years ago

I'm sure TommyP will pipe in, as he is the foremost knowledgable on the Dynasonics, but you can read the Dynasonic page here as a good start.

Its better to have people think you're an idiot, than to open your mouth and prove them wrong, unless you doubt yourself then speak away....
Posted on 15 years ago

1. Springless lugs started showing up on 9/72 drums just before the transition to the BIG R badge and memrilock hardware.

2. You need to disassemble the drum. Using a firm yet soft, non scratching surface that will support the shell and offer resistence to the force you will apply, use a slightly rounded leather mallet and gently tap out the dent. Strike evenly, without too much force, and squarely. Be careful to observe how you are shaping the shell, so that you dont over do the repair, or create dents.

3. Rogers hoops are distinctive. The Dynasonic snare side hoop is unique. Observing Rogers hoops of any size in a drum from your era will make them readily identifiable. The shoulders at the lug hole have a unique profile.

Tension rods from this era..... vary from supplier to supplier, and were used by more than one manufacturer of drums.

4. Its easy to disassemble, and reassemble, and there is some play in the face plate, this is common.

Remove the nut on the end, then simply unscrew the tensioning knob untill the second nut is off, pull the tensioning knob out, remove the two screws and nuts from the muffler mounting bracket, and its done.

Drum No. 2322 would have Bread and Butter lugs. these are not interchangeable with the Beavertails on your #95xxxx drum. The throwoff will mount, but the correct throwoff for your 2322 drum would have been the old style Clockface. What is wrong with your clockface style throwoff? The hoops will work, as should the tension rods. They will be obvious to someone who knows the Dynasonic, to be Rogers parts, but unoriginal to the drum.

Rogers Drums Big R era 1975-1984 Dating Guide.
http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=24048
Posted on 15 years ago

Well!...

The Ploughman got here first!... and a fine job at that as I concur with his findings/suggestions... and THANKS backbeatkeeper for your always positive comments towards my Dynasonic acumen! That said, I will add this:

I'm not surprised that the shell/shells are both dented behind the throw-off... and the reason for that is almost always a constant with the COB Dynasonics, and no discrimination here, this happens with regularity on ANY serial number COB Dynasonic: Over-tensioning the snare/frame, and almost always because the drummer can't get the drum in a nice sounding area because of completely misunderstanding the way the Dynasonic snare drum works. The COB shells are quite soft actually, and pulling the snare/frame up too tight will in fact... buckle the shell right behind the throw-off. The snare/frame should be loose enough where you can actually move it "side to side" a bit while under tension. If you can't move it... it's pulled up too tight... and the result over time is... a dented shell!

I wrote a quick set-up guide for all Dynasonics as the mechanics are the same regardless of shell type. Have a look!... give it a try! It should help get you in the right area... then... fine tune/tension to taste!! Here's the link: http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/rogers_dynasonic_set_up2.html

Tommyp

Posted on 15 years ago

Thank you all,

I only have the 2322 shell and lugs without the clockface throw, that's why I'm thinking of switching the throw from the Big R which is an almost complete and real dirty snare.

Is one worth more than the other? Probably the best idea would be to look for parts to complete both, instead of mixing and matching - right?

70s Slingy WMP
70s Ludwig Standard Aqua Mist
60s Ludwig Champagne Sparkle Downbeat
and a whole bunch of snares and hardware
Posted on 15 years ago
Action Another action Something else here